Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

I recently picked up my 2017 Explorer Sport and am on the search for a new intake kit. I really love everything about the Ecoboost except for the fact that I can't hear it.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest adding our Windstorm CAI! Adding a good CAI will definitely add to your intake noise in the cabin.When combined with our awesome custom tuning you will add ~65awhp and 75awtq! We offer several pre-packaged performance bundles as well so that we make modding as easy as possible too. I recommend starting with our Level 1 kit! It will completely change how you see your XSport!

Take off the engine protective cover and you'll hear those turbos spool all day.

Removing all of that will definitely unmuffle a ton of noise, but it will also raise your underhood temps! There is a ton of insulation there for a very good reason.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.... but it will also raise your underhood temps! There is a ton of insulation there for a very good reason.
is it really to curb temps.. or mostly to prevent engine bay temps from heating up the intake manifold..
would guess the heat to mostly come from turbo hotsides and figured if anything..that insulated engine cover is keeping the heat in instead of letting it dissipate..

I won't be removing the protective cover. I'm thinking the livernois CAI would achieve the sound I'm looking for.

Does a Tune void the Ford factory and extended warranty? I would think it would.

Also, what does changing the thermostat achieve?

Livernois,
Do you have some sound clips or videos online of the CAI in action on a Sport?

.......Does a Tune void the Ford factory and extended warranty? I would think it would.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Short answer is YES. It is noted in your Warranty Guide.

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part or software
(other than a certified emissions part or software) or any part or
software (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed
after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the
installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail. Examples include, but
are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones,
alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing
powertrain components or software and performance “chips”.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Short answer is YES. It is noted in your Warranty Guide.

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part or software
(other than a certified emissions part or software) or any part or
software (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed
after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the
installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail. Examples include, but
are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones,
alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing
powertrain components or software and performance “chips”.

Peter

Thanks Peter. That clears that up.

I won't be removing the protective cover. I'm thinking the livernois CAI would achieve the sound I'm looking for.

Does a Tune void the Ford factory and extended warranty? I would think it would.

Also, what does changing the thermostat achieve?

Livernois,
Do you have some sound clips or videos online of the CAI in action on a Sport?

We do not have any experience with warranty voidance. We do always advocate being honest if asked about any modifications. Here are two articles that are a good read if you are concerned about your warranty and modifications.

http://www.semasan.com/semaga/images/warranty_ftc.pdf
http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=warranty_consumer&g=semaga

The stock unit is 178°, but Ford does all of their power testing at 140° coolant temp. So, we are also using the 160°tstat to get you as close to that temp range as we can without you losing heat or anything. The tstat has the fans come on sooner and stay on longer. Which reduces wear on the fans along with keeping the entire system cooler.

I do not have a video of a transverse car with the CAI on it. I will tomorrow as there is currently awaiting install ATM!

We do not have any experience with warranty voidance. We do always advocate being honest if asked about any modifications. Here are two articles that are a good read if you are concerned about your warranty and modifications.

http://www.semasan.com/semaga/images/warranty_ftc.pdf
http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?content=warranty_consumer&g=semaga

The stock unit is 178°, but Ford does all of their power testing at 140° coolant temp. So, we are also using the 160°tstat to get you as close to that temp range as we can without you losing heat or anything. The tstat has the fans come on sooner and stay on longer. Which reduces wear on the fans along with keeping the entire system cooler.

I do not have a video of a transverse car with the CAI on it. I will tomorrow as there is currently awaiting install ATM!

Any luck on that video?

'17 Stock Sport intake

Just picked up a new 17' Sport about a month ago and itching to do some upgrades.
Is there an intake out there that any of you have experience with making a difference with a stock 2017 Sport? I have seen conflicting reports from different threads, from XX HP gains by just changing the intake, to negative effects when only changing the intake on a stock Sport. I would love to go all out and make multiple modifications for performance but at this time its not only financially not smart (Did I mention I just bought a new 17' Sport?) as well as I am not ready to take the risk of possible warranty issues.
I was hoping I could get an intake and hear and feel a small improvement with the stock, and when I get further down the road to hopefully do more upgrades it will just help benefit it at that point as well. Can anyone give me any real world experience and or results? If you have done this what did you go with? Would love any and all info or suggestions you all have.

Last edited by a moderator:

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You may to see post #301 above for a suggestion of improving the noise level. A CAI and 'tune' seems to be the best and preferred modification to increase HP.

Peter

I have a 2017 Sport and currently using an aFe POWER 54-12622 Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Pro 5R Cold Air Intake System. On warm southern California days, nothing noticeable in both sound and performance. On cold days it does feel a bit more responsive versus the stock box.

Im not running a tune yet but looking into an SCT x4 with a 5 Star tune soon.

Is anyone making a cold air intake for the Ecoboost Sport yet? One site I was on said the K&N would fit it, but K&Ns site says it is not compatible.
K&N is not compatible yet, however AIRAID is making a CAI for the 2018, I just purchased and installed without issues.
I got from realtruck.com
Model number AIR-400-260 - Performance Air Intake System.
THANKS
LcL
I have a 2017 Sport and currently using an aFe POWER 54-12622 Magnum FORCE Stage-2 Pro 5R Cold Air Intake System. On warm southern California days, nothing noticeable in both sound and performance. On cold days it does feel a bit more responsive versus the stock box.

Im not running a tune yet but looking into an SCT x4 with a 5 Star tune soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

K&N is not compatible yet, however AIRAID is making a CAI for the 2018, I just purchased and installed without issues.
I got from realtruck.com
Model number AIR-400-260 - Performance Air Intake System.
THANKS
LcL
Curious as to why K&N is not compatible yet? I don't believe the 2018 Ecoboost is any different from the 2016/17 but could be wrong.

Peter

Curious as to why K&N is not compatible yet? I don't believe the 2018 Ecoboost is any different from the 2016/17 but could be wrong.

Peter
Not sure, but I called k&N and they told me it is not compatible and not the same .

'17 Stock Sport intake

Just picked up a new 17' Sport about a month ago and itching to do some upgrades.
Is there an intake out there that any of you have experience with making a difference with a stock 2017 Sport? I have seen conflicting reports from different threads, from XX HP gains by just changing the intake, to negative effects when only changing the intake on a stock Sport. I would love to go all out and make multiple modifications for performance but at this time its not only financially not smart (Did I mention I just bought a new 17' Sport?) as well as I am not ready to take the risk of possible warranty issues.
I was hoping I could get an intake and hear and feel a small improvement with the stock, and when I get further down the road to hopefully do more upgrades it will just help benefit it at that point as well. Can anyone give me any real world experience and or results? If you have done this what did you go with? Would love any and all info or suggestions you all have.

OKOKOK, I have gone back and read threads in here and yet it still seems like the majority feels CAI will only change the noise and no performance if that is the only modification. It also sounds like there's still debate on if it actually has a negative affect in the performance part (loss of MPG). But what I find even more interesting is 2 companies going back and forth on here over who has the better product and arguing the independent testing realism. Sooo.. with all that being said and me being the nice guy that I am..;)

@Livernois and @MDesign Performance
I have a brand new, 1,050 miles, stock, 2017 ExSport,
I do have interest in future modifications, but I can help you guys settle your debate very easily. If each of you send me one of your CAI's we can have a local shop here in Northern VA (NOT affiliated with either of you) do a before dyno run to get a real baseline, and an after run for each of the CAI's. I will share the unbiased results of all the dyno runs. The one with the lower gains pays for the shop time (Dyno runs)???
This way the debate on a few items can be resolved once and for all.
1. Any increase on a stock system with only CAI
2. Any negative effect with only CAI
3. (most importantly) which of these 2 products provide the biggest gain if any with a stock system.

Seems Legit to me!:)

I wish Airaid sold just the tube. I don't want the stupid air box. Most of the kits the sell the mid intake tube is the biggest gain. The airboxes are just fine.

I bought the Windstorm CAI used for about $200 shipped. So far just a small increase in noise as of now with the hood closed. You can hear it more at lower RPM's when you press the throttle, but not much when you are in the upper RPM's. Didn't really see any mpg gains on the highway either. I soon will start buying other supporting mods as well to have when I do tune my Ex later this year.

I have DYNO 3 fords before with CAI only and then CAI + axle-back exhaust (FORD MUSTANG 5.0 and a 2014 Shelby GT 550)
Here is what I learned:
1- CAI only, increase in air intake noise and no mileage gain, but 7HP gain on the Coyote engine and the same for the Shelby.
2- CAI and axle-back from flowmaster (muffler only) - no MPG improvement - considerable increase in air intake noise and 13 HP gain.
3- CAI and axle-back from Borla Atak (muffler only) - 2MPG improvement over highway, considerable increase in air intake noise and 15HP gain on the Coyote engine.
4- CAI, axle-back and tune...Shelby gave a 48HP increase...became a monster!

Sorry I do not have anything for the Explorer Sport, but I assume the results (not the numbers) will pretty much be the same. As long as you do not put a TUNE you are legally OK with muffler and CAI in terms of warranty.
Had several Mustangs and did some warranty work on them without any issues at all. Even in a 2014 Shelby with a TUNE and all the above...but TUNE will depend on the dealership you bring in, which USUALLY should be no problem, but no guaranteed.
Cheers
LCL

IMO, the factory air box with a high flow filter element is ideal. The MDesign CAI (the only TRUE CAI I've seen for the Ex) has smaller intake tubes than stock (less volume, no bueno). The remainder of aftermarket intakes are "warm" air intakes because they are not a closed box system, which is not what anyone is looking for when you are searching for the coolest/densest air charge possible. I ran the Livernois/ Airaid for a month (before I installed my Ultragauge to monitor IAT's). I found I was running easily 30-50 degrees over ambient. IAT's would shoot up and take forever to come back down. With the reinstalled factory box I rarely go above 10 degrees over ambient unless I am sitting in stop and go traffic for extended periods. The factory box also gets my IAT's back near ambient MUCH quicker than the open box Airaid ever could and it still never got close. I sold the Airaid. Unless it is a fully sealed box like the factory unit it is not a CAI and naturally, unless you have tuned your ECU, there will be no noticeable performance benefit with any CAI.....so why then even waste the money. Again, my opinion (with a lil data to back it up). Get a KNN insert for your factory box, the Livernois 93 octane tune, 3-bar MAF sensor, cooler thermostat and bam, you're done (for Stage 1/ returnable to stock performance anyhow).

I would recommend staying with the factory airbox and paper air filter. The turbos will suck as much air as they need. I did numerous testing and my dirty paper air filter on the SHO will flow 48-53 lb/min with the stock airbox. The restriction is all the piping downstream of the airbox that none of the vendors really address. The SHO and Explorer Sport have the same powertrain hardware. I ran 12.4 @ 110.9 with the SHO on the stock airbox and 3-year dirty paper air filter and with worn out RS-A tires pulling a 1.8 60'z

Another person did some dyno testing with and without an airbox, and found 1-3 hp deviation between the setups so it isn't statistically significant to run any type of aftermarket intake. Worst part is that most CAI dyno testing is done with the hood propped open. On any dragstrip or race track, the engine is subject to a LOT of heat soak. My intercooler temps on the SHO stay at 150F or higher (90F over ambient) and just stays hot due to heat soak. The best "cold air intake" is the stock box. I see that Airaid and a lot of the CAI vendors basically selling the stock airbox with a cone filter for the newer EcoBoost and Coyote Mustangs. They're finally catching on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back