Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by Mdanielswv18, November 4, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. metroplex

metroplex Active Member

City, State:
    SE MI, USA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2018 Ford Explorer XLT
    I wasn't a big fan of the AEM dry flow filters, sounded great on paper but didn't provide any flow benefits over the K&N or paper. I have not pulled out the air filter or airbox for my 2018 XLT, but the EcoBoost engines are ALL speed density... meaning there is no MAF sensor so you can pour oil straight onto the air filter and let it get sucked into the engine without worrying about MAF sensor contamination. As for the naturally aspirated 3.5L V6, it should have a MAF sensor because I can see the airflow vs. voltage table in the tune, but I couldn't find the harness on the airbox on my 2018.

In fact if you pulled the MAP sensor from your intake manifold on an EcoBoost, it's probably soaked with oil anyhow (or some PCV blow by residue).

I did extensive airflow testing on the different air filters, and none of them provided any sizable performance gains on the EcoBoost. They all flowed as much air as the engine needed, even the dirty paper air filter that I used for 3 years that had bugs and acorns jammed between the pleats that I used to run 12.4 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Just my 2 cents, but everyone wants a CAI to make their engine compartment look snazzy, but on the transverse 3.5 EcoBoost CAI kits, they just let in way too much hot air, or don't flow more than the stock airbox.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Pete165

Pete165 Member

City, State:
    Illinois
    2017 Sport
    screenshot of air temp vs. intake temp with STOCK intake on my 2017 sport. Not going to get any colder... CAI's are a scam.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: March 28, 2018
  4. Soup804

Soup804 New Member

City, State:
    Gibbons, ab
    2017 Explorer Sport
    So the take away is... Don't waste money on a Cold Air Intake. Get a quality air filter in your stock box and get more fresh air into the stock box!

• Like Like x 2
  5. wharriso

wharriso Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    16 Explorer Limited

6. Mlim_556

Mlim_556 Member

City, State:
    Northern MA
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport
    I had a livernois Windstorm /airaid cai on my 2017 sport. Noticed a difference in sound but ended up taking it off because I was getting a weird noise from it while driving. From what I remember there was a noticeable change in sound vs stock, but didn't really feel a difference in performance. To me the sport feels stronger with the factory system. The system I had came with a rubber seal that goes up against the hood so I'm assuming it keeps the hot air out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. honky

honky New Member

2013 Ford Explorer Sport
    I think METROPLEX has summed it up rather well. Kinda what I was thinking all along especially for otherwise stock machines. Thank you for the time and effort. Clarence.

8. riceymo91

riceymo91 New Member

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    2016 Explorer Sport
    Hello Everyone! My name is Eric!!
    so, i have a 2016 Explorer sport in platinum white!! i have about 5 months left on my lease and i plan on financing it to KEEP!!!! That's when all the fun will begin!!! I don't have much planned but so far what i have in mind are the following:

Cold air intake- thinking about Injen's cold air or K&N, this one i need some suggestions.

PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS!!! :D
    HAPPY MODDING EVERYONE!!

Last edited by a moderator: July 16, 2018
  9. EcoHell

EcoHell Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Babylon, NY
    2018 Ford Explorer Sport
    Hey Eric - I take it you did not read this thread. I will assume no one will provide you a response due to the 14 pages this thread has produced. I would suggest you read page 13 to make a determination if you will really purchase a CAI. I purchased the Livernois Motorsport Level 2 Performance Package plus some other goodies, but will not be installing their CAI based on reading page 13. Good luck on your modding.

Last edited: July 22, 2018
  10. wharriso

wharriso Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Philadelphia, PA
    16 Explorer Limited