• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake Kits

maikolo

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburg california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer XLT
I have seen the MAC air intakes at Explorer Express catalog. The latest year they offer a kit to for the ex is 1995 yr explorer. I have a 93, I was wondering if ordering A 95 kit for my 93 ex. will that have any chances of working out???? the thing I like about the MAC intakes is that it has a silver Tube that comes along with the kit. instead of the KKM type.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

95 will not work for a 93...91-94 are the same but after that they changed the setup...there are others i have seen with the silver intake pipe but the name slipps my mind atm, i am sure someone will know what it is though

Yo ryan man thanks for the hook up!!! appreciate it!!! thank you!!

mike,

The mac and the Ifab are not cold air intakes. I don't think anyone makes a cold air intake for an ex. You don't want a cold air intake anyway, much more likely to suck up water.

Sometimes it's looks over function. Ask any lowrider owner......It may be harder to get into, out of, open up, close, fill up, or empty.......but it looks damn good!

Ryan

overfunction>???
anyone out there know of any problems with the chrome tubing such as the MAC chrome tube???? I just thought that the chrome tube made it work even better than the stock plastic one. any tips before I order one from http://www.ifab.net/products/93intake/91Ex/index.html ????? thanks!

mike,

JL 3x12 Xplorer said:
The mac and the Ifab are not cold air intakes. I don't think anyone makes a cold air intake for an ex. You don't want a cold air intake anyway, much more likely to suck up water.
Unless under extream wet offroad conditions, how do's a MAC cool air intake suck up water?

The only cold air kits I've heard that really soak up water are the import "TRUE" cold intakes. They go down in the engine compartment right beside the fenderwells. My buddy had one on his Civic and it was maybe 10" off the ground. It worked but his engine got waterlocked twice because of it.

maikolo said:
overfunction>???
anyone out there know of any problems with the chrome tubing such as the MAC chrome tube???? I just thought that the chrome tube made it work even better than the stock plastic one. any tips before I order one from http://www.ifab.net/products/93intake/91Ex/index.html ????? thanks!

mike,
The tube adds no performance, it's just for looks, but how often does someone open your hood anyways?

Lowriders don't look good, especially not damn good.

huskyfan23 said:
The tube adds no performance, it's just for looks, but how often does someone open your hood anyways?

Lowriders don't look good, especially not damn good.
Being wack, I open my hood in the morning to say hello, and just before I put on my jammies to say goodnight, but thats just me :D

Let's not have this turn into a 'streeter vs. the world' thread. It is MY PERSONAL OPINION that alot of Lowriders look DAMN good, some are quite ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......even if the owner is blind as hell!

He want's a Cold-Air Intake for his X. I gave him a link to where he can purchase one that looks good. It may even LOOK better than it performs, but it SHOULD perform better than that stock box he has now.

Ryan

Settle down. A KKM will perform just as well as the metal tube w/ KKM, and he'd save a lot. I meant lowriders like the Cadillacs with hydraulics and all that; true lowriders. Many bagged vehicles look good, but I don't consider them lowriders.

.....settle down?......

READ ONE OF MY PREVIOUS POSTS:

....Sometimes it's form over function.....

some people don't care if you get the same, or nearly the same performance WITHOUT the polished tube. It doesn't look as good.

Have you ever even OWNED a 'lowered' vehicle? I doubt it. Where do you get off saying that the only 'true lowrider' is a sedan with hydraulics? You obviously have NO CLUE. I am amazed that I have neighbors that are so closed minded.

Ryan

Move to NM and try calling a lowered vehicle a lowrider. I'm not going to argue with you about this. :rolleyes:

I am from San Diego. I have been to NM, and AZ....the MECCA of modern 'lowriders'........

I have also helped build award winning lowriders. Don't tell me that my location will dictate what classification my vehicles will fall under. A Lowrider in CA, OR, and WA is still a Lowrider in TX, TN, AZ and NM. A $20k paintjob doesn't make it a lowrider.....a $10k custom interior doesn't make it a lowrider....it's a culmination of alot of details that make it so. The ONLY common aspect of all lowriders is what? They are all lowered. Period. Whether you have a Lowered X, Honda, Cutlass/Regal/Monte Carlo, S-10.....DOESN'T MATTER. If you have a 'lowered for looks' vehicle (not just a 1.375" drop for handling/performance) it is considered a lowrider. I don't care what OTHER category you place it in as well.....it's still a lowrider.

Ryan

Okay guys, back to the subject. So that link up there is to a nice tube, but thats it... just the tube, filter, and adapter. So for 175 I would have to still get a larger MAF?

Isnt it pointless to have a larger tube with a small opening? Call me crazy but I think you need a fatter MAF.

Exactly what is the difference in the MAF from 93-94 to 95-97?

According to 2 major part stores, the MAF stock numbers are the same for both engines.

Im curious because Im considering the K&N kit with the MAF for the 95. What I have now is just a stock MAF with a K&N intake. I still use the stock tube.

The "cold air" intakes are a misnomer. What we are all speaking of is an open air intake.

It has one point and that is to allow more air to pass into your engine.
You can do this anyway that you want. Me I prefer it to look good.

Next in line in the intake system is the Mass air flow sensor. On early explorers (first gen) this was a small unit (can't remember exactly 58mm?) Hence it needs opened up to around 70-75mm on a stock engine.

With the coming of the second gen X the MAF was upgraded to a 70mm unit. It's actually a bit underbored at 69mm I believe, but 1mm doesn't matter so you can skip it.

Next in Line is the TB

then the exhaust

a chip and your good.

Want more? Go for some heads, a cam, and some headers.

Back