• Register Today It's free!

Cold Starts = High Idle

kabukie

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Sport
When i start my car on cold mornings the engine tends to rev at about 2K. Normally it will idle at about 1K. The only way i can get it to return to 1K is either wait or while driving shift into 5th. Any clues on what is causing this? I took it to a dealer and they didnt know what it could be

If you had a vacuum leak that was only apparent at cold temps (like a leaking intake o-ring on the SOHC) it would idle high until the parts expand to close off the leak. You wouldn't notice the vacuum leak in 5th, because the vacuum is highest at idle, lower at highway speed.

I thought that was normal. I had a Brand new 04 subaru that did the same thing since day 1. I assumed that it was just programmed into the ECU to warm up the engine. when it got closer to normal operating temperature, it went to normal idle speed. My explorer does the same thing, so I wasnt worried. Should I be?

Edit: Its not like its idling at 5grand. Its at like 1800-2100. Then after a few minutes, it falls below 1000. Same exact thing that my subaru did.

That actually sounds normal to me, depending upon the temp. It should definitely go down to 1000 rpm after a short time.

Back