• Register Today It's free!

Colored Courtesy Lights?

shawnmck17

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD
I noticed the courtesy lights on my explorer and then thought that it would be cool if i could get blue bulbs that i could put in the mirrors. Is that possible and if so does anyone know where i can get some? If anyone knows, it will be very helpful. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In this part of the country blue bulbs/lights on the exterior of a vehicle is a real no-no!

Really? i would have thought being in the courtesy lights(and thus off while the vehicle is in motion) would be fine.
I actually thought about doing this a couple of times, and i would assume you could replace them with some generic leds, with minimal re-wiring.

EDIT- just looked it up, and where I live in texas it would be legal, but so are under body lights(as long as they are on steady and not flashing or anything like that. but even still, when they will be on you probably wont be on the road, and thus not on public property, so i don't see how they could get you....

Laws regarding red/blue lights vary widely from state to state. I'm just speaking "technically" since what you get away with depends greatly on your actions and the mood/disposition of the observing officer.

The company I work for is a distributor for emergency lighting, I'm regularly in possession of red/blue lighting and we have two fully outfitted demonstrator vehicles which in our case is excluded from the statutes below. But it's pretty plain here, no blue lighting on a public highway driven vehicle. You want to outfit your mower/tractor/anything else and only drive it on your own property go for it. Just don't operate it on public access. I've seen ricers be pulled for the little lighted windshield washer nozzles that were blue. LOL !!

North Carolina General Statutes 20-130-1c
It is unlawful for any person to possess a blue light or to install, activate, or operate a blue light in or on any vehicle in this State, except for a publicly owned vehicle used for law enforcement purposes or any other vehicle when used by law enforcement officers in the performance of their official duties. As used in this subsection, unless the context requires otherwise, "blue light" means any blue light installed on a vehicle after initial manufacture of the vehicle; or an operable blue light which:

(1) Is not (i) being installed on, held in inventory for the purpose of being installed on, or held in inventory for the purpose of sale for installation on a vehicle on which it may be lawfully operated or (ii) installed on a vehicle which is used solely for the purpose of demonstrating the blue light for sale to law enforcement personnel;

(1a) Is designed for use by an emergency vehicle, or is similar in appearance to a blue light designed for use by an emergency vehicle; and

(2) Can be operated by use of the vehicle's battery, the vehicle's electrical system, or a dry cell battery.

LawEnforcementDemonstrator003.jpg

where i live it is legal to have neon lights and other lights on your vehicle as long as they are not on while the vehicle is moving. the lights can be turned on while you are not moving and/or if you are on your own property. I just assumed that since the lights are only on while the doors are open, i wouldnt be moving (hopefully). And i guess it doesn't necessarily need to be red or blue. But is there anyway i can at least look at bulbs so i can see if it would be worth the risk?

And i Have a switch installed in my explorer that has a bright blue LED on it that turns my subs on and off. Could i get in trouble for that if it was seen?

Back