Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models

Welcome to the Forum TracyOrtz.:wavey:
It would really help if you would add the model of your Explorer to your profile so that is show in the margin every time you post.
If you have a Sport or 2.0L Ecoboost it could be due to a hose(s) coming off the turbo. There is a thread on that as well. If you have the regular 3.5L then I'm not sure what it could be. Throttle body perhaps? Not being able to reverse could be a sign of transmission issues. What colour is the smoke?
In any case, you should get it to the dealer ASAP to have them look at it. Sounds like it should be towed there, not driven. Contact them and see what they suggest.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone experienced any problems with there 2015 Ford Explorer XLT? I just purchased mine a week ago and now it's a Ford Service center because the SUV wouldn't go no faster than 30 MPH, smoking and wouldn't reverse.

Welcome to the forum, TracyOrtz. Send me your info in a private message and I'll get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I had the opportunity today to have the recall explained to me in detail. Its amazing how the media has warped the facts.

On the top of the fuel pump there is a connection nipple to the fuel line made out of plastic. This part is provided to Ford by an outside vendor, Ford doesn't make it.

When the nipple was being manufactured the QC on the plastic composition was not correct and the Ford build specs were not met.

The part was installed and the poorly made plastic nipple started to deteriorate as more fuel was pushed through the connection nipple. The higher your mileage, the more fuel is passed through the nipple, the quicker it deteriorates and your nipple cracks and leaks causing fuel smell.

Low use vehicles, pass less fuel through the nipple, the deterioration is slower and doesn't produce the cracks and leaks.

This was caught months ago and the newest builds had new parts installed. Not sure what the cutoff was but it was some time ago near the beginning of the year.

The pump sits directly under the second row seats in the Explorer.

There is little or no risk of fire as the pump is not around any heat source that can cause combustion.

To ensure the parts aren't confused.

Gray nipple is GOOD (new part)

Black nipple is BAD (old part)

So Ford takes the PR hit when it was actually another vendor making a substandard part that didn't meet the required specs.

Sgt,

I was just reading your response and I wanted to comment on the QC aspect of your comment.

As someone who has done QA/QC for over 20 years I would like to say something that I bet the Ford rep won't like very much.

As a QC person, when we inspect incoming materials, the raw materials used to make the parts, we put them through a series of inspection based on the stated specs. All specs have a plus or minus tolerance. If the inspection shows the materials are not within tolerance, per any SOP for incoming materials inspection, the QC technician is to flag and red tag the OOS (out of spec) material for further determination. this is per QS9000 and ISO9000 guidelines. QS 9000 was the governing quality system for automotive part manufacturing until it was absorbed into ISO9000:2000.

Now if the manufacturer making this nipple failed to have proper procedures in place for the inspection of incoming material, than I fault FORD for qualifying them as a supplier. However, I had worked for a Ford Parts supplier for many years and this was in the late 90's. I know when Ford approved our facility it was a rigorous process.

I do not know where this particular part is made, however, is what I do know is this had to be a management decision to allow these nipples to be manufactured with materials not meeting Ford Specs. Not ford Managers, but their supplier. However, this is where I fault ford.

Ford should have a Supplier Quality Agreement in place with the supplier and if the agreement was written correctly it should have included a provision for incoming material that is OOS. In that wording it should have contained the verbiage that Ford Must be contacted for defects or OOS events when the part can present a safety threat, which in my opinion this does.

So if Ford failed to have that verbiage, the supplier could simply use QA management discretion to release the materials into production.

Now you ask why would they risk this?

Well, if you do not meet a demand in your supplier agreement, and your demand causes a production line delay at a FORD Factory, you can be responsble for upto $1,000,000 a day in costs to the loss of production. most companies who make these type of parts are not cash rich like Ford and cannot afford that type of fine, so they will make a business decision to allow the material to be used and take their chances.

If Ford does not test the material it receives prior to installation into the final vehicle, it is on them to pay to the supplier the cost of the replacement parts. So this supplier will be paid for not only the defective parts but the replacements as well because Ford chose to pass the units and put them into the vehicles.

Kind of sucks huh, but that is the game in Supplier Quality.

just thought I would note that... and I have been a loyal ford owner for 28 years, but it still makes me sick what happens in these instances, but it is not just Ford... All car Manufacturers do it.

Received a letter from Ford today. Recall notice 15S11/NHTSA Recall 15V-171

"On your vehicle, a crack may develop within one or more of the interior door handle assemblies, allowing the handle return spring to become unseated. This may result in a loose interior door handle condition, and/or the intrior door handle may not return to the fully closed position.

During a side impact Crash, this condition may allow the door latch to open and increase the risk of injury"

It goes on to say that parts are not available yet and they will let me know when they are.

Received a letter from Ford today. Recall notice 15S11/NHTSA Recall 15V-171

"On your vehicle, a crack may develop within one or more of the interior door handle assemblies, allowing the handle return spring to become unseated. This may result in a loose interior door handle condition, and/or the intrior door handle may not return to the fully closed position.

During a side impact Crash, this condition may allow the door latch to open and increase the risk of injury"

It goes on to say that parts are not available yet and they will let me know when they are.

I received the same recall.

2011-2013 Explorer 14S06 Supplemental Warranty Extension 15N01

Ford finally did the right thing and added 10 years of warranty coverage from the start of the original warranty to all covered 2011-2013 Explorers that were under the 14S06 recall program for power steering issues. See the below link! If you already paid for repairs, you can get reimbursed 100% by Ford and they are also covering rental cars now for any repairs needed.

Signed into MyFord and saw this. Can someone help me understand what this means? Thanks.

We found the following field service action listed on your vehicle.

VIN: 1FM5K7D86GGB13697
FSA Title: TRAFFIC, DIRECTIONS, AND INFORMATION APPLICATION UPDATE
Field Service Action Number: 15B32

Signed into MyFord and saw this. Can someone help me understand what this means? Thanks.

Haven't been able to find an explanation of this Field Service Action but it will require a dealer visit to have it done.

Peter

Hi scoutexplorer,

On your vehicle and some other 2016 Explorers, the Traffic, Directions, and Information (TDI) application for SYNC Services may not be correct. If you're having any issues with SYNC Services, please make an appointment with your dealership to have the application updated. You'll also be receiving a letter in the mail with more information.

Rebecca

Fsa 15b32

Hi scoutexplorer,

On your vehicle and some other 2016 Explorers, the Traffic, Directions, and Information (TDI) application for SYNC Services may not be correct. If you're having any issues with SYNC Services, please make an appointment with your dealership to have the application updated. You'll also be receiving a letter in the mail with more information.

Rebecca

I have an appointment with my dealer to fix the issue(s) next week. They had not heard about it before my call. I did some internet research and found this about FSA 15B32. My car has several of these symptoms which the FSA should resolve.

In some of the affected vehicles, the Traffic, Directions, and Information (TDI) application for SYNC services may not be correct for the vehicle. For vehicles with navigation, this may result in one or more of the following conditions: 1. a yellow question mark appearing in place of the compass on the home screen 2. the Voice/Push-to-Talk button becoming inoperative/unresponsive 3. if a phone is paired, inadvertent dialing of the SYNC services number without the customer initiating the SYNC services feature. For vehicles without navigation, this may result in one or more of the following conditions: 1. the Voice/Push-to-Talk button becoming inoperative/unresponsive 2. TDI/SYNC services becoming inoperative Before demonstrating or delivering any of the vehicles involved in this program, dealers are to update the TDI application in the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) using a USB drive. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

I have an appointment with my dealer to fix the issue(s) next week. They had not heard about it before my call. I did some internet research and found this about FSA 15B32. My car has several of these symptoms which the FSA should resolve.

In some of the affected vehicles, the Traffic, Directions, and Information (TDI) application for SYNC services may not be correct for the vehicle. For vehicles with navigation, this may result in one or more of the following conditions: 1. a yellow question mark appearing in place of the compass on the home screen 2. the Voice/Push-to-Talk button becoming inoperative/unresponsive 3. if a phone is paired, inadvertent dialing of the SYNC services number without the customer initiating the SYNC services feature. For vehicles without navigation, this may result in one or more of the following conditions: 1. the Voice/Push-to-Talk button becoming inoperative/unresponsive 2. TDI/SYNC services becoming inoperative Before demonstrating or delivering any of the vehicles involved in this program, dealers are to update the TDI application in the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) using a USB drive. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

Thank you for posting these symptoms, scoutexplorer. My two-week-old Explorer Platinum has a big, yellow question mark on the home screen and is also subject to FSA 15B32. I'll call my dealer today.

Thank you for posting these symptoms, scoutexplorer. My two-week-old Explorer Platinum has a big, yellow question mark on the home screen and is also subject to FSA 15B32. I'll call my dealer today.

Please let me know how your dealer visits go. I want to make sure this gets resolved for you both. :)

Rebecca

New Recall on some 2016 and 2015
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/31/ford-explorer-lincoln-mkc-fire-hazard-recall/

Ford issues safety recall for certain 2015-2016 Lincoln MKC and 2016 Ford Explorer vehicles to replace engine block heaters

Ford is issuing a safety recall for approximately 5,500 2015-2016 Lincoln MKC and 2016 Ford Explorer vehicles to remove the heaters and replace them with an updated design. The engine block design, coupled with the particular block heater installed in these vehicles, causes the unit to be susceptible to overheating when the vehicle is parked and the block heater is plugged in –increasing the risk of an underhood fire.

Ford is aware of two reports of underhood fires in Canada, but is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this issue.

Affected vehicles include certain 2015-2016 Lincoln MKC vehicles built at Louisville Assembly Plant, Nov. 25, 2013 through Jan. 25, 2016 and certain 2016 Ford Explorer vehicles built at Chicago Assembly Plant, Oct. 20, 2014 through Jan. 28, 2016. There are 5,536 vehicles affected by the issue, including 3,129 2015-2016 Lincoln MKC and 2,407 2016 Ford Explorer vehicles, with 1,543 of the affected vehicles in the United States and federalized territories and 3,993 in Canada.

Dealers will remove and replace the engine block heater with an updated design and, if needed, replace the cord at no cost to the customer.

Rear Suspension Toe Link may be Improperly Welded

RECALL Subject : Rear Suspension Toe Link may be Improperly Welded
Report Receipt Date: APR 26, 2016
This is the recall that is mentioned in the link provided by JETZ in his post.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V245000
Component(s): SUSPENSION
Potential Number of Units Affected: 75,364
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company

SUMMARY:
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Ford Explorer vehicles manufactured January 17, 2014 to May 31, 2014. The affected vehicles may have improperly welded rear suspension toe links that may fracture.

CONSEQUENCE:
A fracture of the rear suspension toe link may result in a loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the rear suspension toe links, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in May 2016. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 16S18.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

The above was obtained from; http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/15/f...#slide-2705798 (Thanks JETZ)

Hi scoutexplorer,

Rebecca
I just got off of a chat with ford to try to reslove this problem on my explorer. It took several attempts to get to someone that knew of this problem and get some information to my dealer. It seems that first I was reffered to SYNC which then told me I had to contact HERE. Give a phone number I called and got a message to leave a number that they would call back when they had time. Then I went back to Ford to try again and after explaining the exact problem and giving them the FSA, they said they would contact my dealer and have him call me to set up a time for it to be fixed, at least I think it will be fixed. I have only 4500 miles on this car and thought it would be easy to get the software fixed. It is only a software problem! I hope this is not a indication of what a real problem will lead to before I can get something fixed.

I just got off of a chat with ford to try to reslove this problem on my explorer. It took several attempts to get to someone that knew of this problem and get some information to my dealer. It seems that first I was reffered to SYNC which then told me I had to contact HERE. Give a phone number I called and got a message to leave a number that they would call back when they had time. Then I went back to Ford to try again and after explaining the exact problem and giving them the FSA, they said they would contact my dealer and have him call me to set up a time for it to be fixed, at least I think it will be fixed. I have only 4500 miles on this car and thought it would be easy to get the software fixed. It is only a software problem! I hope this is not a indication of what a real problem will lead to before I can get something fixed.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Not sure exactly what you meant by "chat" but the way to try and resolve issues with Sync/MFT etc. is to send a message to FordIVTteam via this sub forum. To do that, scroll up to the post by FordIVTteam, click on that name in the margin and then in the box that pops up, select "Start a Conversation".

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recall 16S46

2017 Ford Explorer ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE:TURBO-CHARGER NHTSA Campaign #16V925000

DECEMBER 22, 2016
  • Vehicles Affected: 1,163

Summary: Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2016 Ford Taurus, 2016-2017 Ford Flex, Lincoln MKT, 2017 Ford Explorer and Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility vehicles equipped with 3.5L GTDI engines. Improperly brazed turbocharger oil supply tubes may leak oil on engine components.

Consequence: An oil leak, in the presence of an ignition source, increases the risk of a fire.

Actions: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect, and if necessary, replace the turbocharger oil supply tubes, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on January 23, 2017. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 16S46. For detailed information & supporting documents, see the official NHTSA page concerning recall #16V925000 »

Back