Comp Cam Kit Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Comp Cam Kit Questions

So ive recently decided to cam swap my explorer, and messaged comp cams about my idea, and had them recommend me a kit (k35-349-8 xe264hr cam) including guide plates, rockers, springs etc. I have a question about the studs, will i need extended studs, or will my stock studs work? Im not very good with cams and cranks, so this is still kind of new to me. Any suggestions would be great. I have read that the studs were extended to 6.3s or somewhere around there, but they also had some headwork done, will i need the same even though i have stock heads?

Pretty sure those springs won't work without mill work.

Same with the rockers as we have pedestal 5/16 bolts and they probably sent you 3/8 stud rockers. Same as above, machine shop can drill for the studs.

You do know the engine has to come out or the body has to be lifted 6" to get the cam out...... right?

Same with the rockers as we have pedestal 5/16 bolts and they probably sent you 3/8 stud rockers. Same as above, machine shop can drill for the studs.

You do know the engine has to come out or the body has to be lifted 6" to get the cam out...... right?

I knew the motor had to come out, was planning on doing a rebuild with cam swap. And ill have to ask them what they send in the kit, he wasnt specific on what size. Ill let you know what they say once they reply.

I cheated. Cut the bottom of the radiator support and welded it back after sliding the cam in.

Back