Comp Cams XE264HR-14 Cam install in my 5.0 swapped 01 Ranger | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Comp Cams XE264HR-14 Cam install in my 5.0 swapped 01 Ranger

Well guys been super busy and had parts to do this sitting around for awhile. Fortunately enough my timing cover gasket went from no leak to straight peeing in a 2 mile drive recently. Here is a few notes and parts I used, I'll add part numbers and update original post wen done...

-Comp Cams 35‑349‑8 Xtreme Energy Cam
-Alex's parts gt40p springs
-Alex's parts 6.305 extended pushrods (figured this out after cam was installed and stockers are WAY too short)

I already had a few supporting mods along with 1.6 roller rockers and roller timing chain setup on the truck when it was built. Put about 15k hard miles on her in 2 years and she sure needed a little cleaning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have someone tune it as soon as you can.

It's going to be even better.

It showed a big difference on my 98.

Hate to see you run lean with the new cam and roast something.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have the timing set at factory settings but I have WOT fuel turned up w/my sct to make up for some of the added airflow. I plan on getting a little larger throttle body before it gets tuned. Luckily I have a shop here locally that can dyno tune it so I'm good to go. Just going to wait a few weeks incase I have to make any other changes to the setup.

I wouldn't be too upset if this engine goes boom as I have another low mile engine in my garage. I would FOR SURE take the heads off and do them up this time. I would port them and drill the heads for 7/16 stud mount rockers.

I wouldn't be too upset if this engine goes boom .
In that case a 250 shot would wake that motor ALL kinds of up and maybe keep up with my truck ..lol

Not wanting to start any trouble here but be reminded that "Bottles are for Babies".

LOL.

In that case a 250 shot would wake that motor ALL kinds of up and maybe keep up with my truck ..lol

Shoot 100 shot and I probably got you in the 1/8th lol. Always remember spinning ain't winning haha.

For real though we need to hit test and tune down at northeast one Saturday just to see......

Shoot 100 shot and I probably got you in the 1/8th lol. Always remember spinning ain't winning haha.

For real though we need to hit test and tune down at northeast one Saturday just to see......
You got me there,i need my sticky tires back.lol

Yea we should all get up one day,be a fun day ;)

Not wanting to start any trouble here but be reminded that "Bottles are for Babies".

LOL.
Considering we both have newborns and have/had bottles on our trucks,it wouldn't be either of our first go around with a bottle..hahah

Copy that jd4242.

Considering we both have newborns and have/had bottles on our trucks,it wouldn't be either of our first go around with a bottle..hahah

Very true lol. My twins just hit 6 months two weeks ago so they are just out of the newborn stage. 14.5lbs each and rolling all over the place. They definitely slow the time with the truck down that's for sure.

Hell I bet I put 20 10lb bottles through my old Mountaineer at northeast. Best was a 9.0 at 75 mph with a 1.6 60 ft. I'm pretty sure if I put the 32" tires on it I can match that 9.0 easily without the bottle.

Copy that jd4242.
LOL ;)

20160924_092002_zpsk37bhp5c.jpg

Shhhh hes sleeping.

20160307_185054_zpsd5d5asxu.jpg

Very true lol. My twins just hit 6 months two weeks ago so they are just out of the newborn stage. 14.5lbs each and rolling all over the place. They definitely slow the time with the truck down that's for sure.

6 Month Old Twins? Congratulations!

Somehow kids have a tendency to slow down vehicle projects. When they get old enough to drive they just destroy them..

Yes identical twin girls. I also have a 5 year old and almost 13 year old boys. My oldest keeps telling me to keep my Focus ST for him. I told him to get ready for a 4 cyl ranger lol

Is this Facebook, or a car forum? LOL, life never quits, and it dares you to hold still, and then bam, it knocks you down.

Keep up with the kids, treasure every second and be patient. The cars are just our big boy toys. Be safe and have fun.

Funny Don, Funny...

Hell I bet I put 20 10lb bottles through my old Mountaineer at northeast. Best was a 9.0 at 75 mph with a 1.6 60 ft. I'm pretty sure if I put the 32" tires on it I can match that 9.0 easily without the bottle.

1.6? **** that's better than my 11 second 3000gt. Damn impressive from one of these tanks

1.6 60ft was with my old v8 Mountaineer awd on 225/70r15 tires, all bolt ons and a 100 shot. Footbraked to 2k and sprayed off the line. Tires would barely chirp taking off.

So back on topic after putting 40 miles on it I still had noise on the passenger side. Preload is close as hell w/ the 6.320s but there is room for more. I have swapped in about every configuration you can make on the passenger side but the 6.350s and a .020 shim under each pedestal has her pretty damn silent. I have been running the truck with the right valve cover open and putting my ear on each bolt head. I have been told with my combo the engine bay will no longer be completely quiet.

Now i have different length push rods on either side but they have a color difference so I can tell them apart. I am going to run this setup for a day and see if any noises come up. Then depending on how I feel I'll either go back to the 6.320s or change out the drivers side for the 6.350s and shim up the rockers.

This is one of those times its annoying to get rid of a noise and numbers arn't matching up to what they should be but trial and error is working lol. To be honest after my recent adjustment I dont think my passenger side has never been this quiet, its always had a little tick before.

1.6 60ft was with my old v8 Mountaineer awd on 225/70r15 tires, all bolt ons and a 100 shot. Footbraked to 2k and sprayed off the line. Tires would barely chirp taking off.

So back on topic after putting 40 miles on it I still had noise on the passenger side. Preload is close as hell w/ the 6.320s but there is room for more. I have swapped in about every configuration you can make on the passenger side but the 6.350s and a .020 shim under each pedestal has her pretty damn silent. I have been running the truck with the right valve cover open and putting my ear on each bolt head. I have been told with my combo the engine bay will no longer be completely quiet.

Now i have different length push rods on either side but they have a color difference so I can tell them apart. I am going to run this setup for a day and see if any noises come up. Then depending on how I feel I'll either go back to the 6.320s or change out the drivers side for the 6.350s and shim up the rockers.

This is one of those times its annoying to get rid of a noise and numbers arn't matching up to what they should be but trial and error is working lol. To be honest after my recent adjustment I dont think my passenger side has never been this quiet, its always had a little tick before.
You have a pushrod measure right? Ive got one if you need it.also have you speced out a empty lifter plunger travel? Think my 4.0 was .140 so i shot for about half that .075 preload..also higher lifts and depending on the ramp on the lobes will cause extra noise ...you obviously know whats excessive im sure..

I find roller rockers tend to tick.

I just live with that.

Question?

New lifters? Or the same old stock?

I know it's a PIMA but you may have to break them down and clean them or just manually prime them.

Whats stock rocker ratio again and what do you have?? That cam is based off stock rockers so you may end up with more lift than what the cams advertising

I am actually suspecting a lifter because the only noise I now have seems to come and go. To be honest I'm probably going to switch the pushrods on the drivers side as I notice it's a touch more "sewing machine" sounding over there nice the passenger side is quiet. No sound can be heard from the drivers seat except the intermittent one and that's only if I'm next to something to bounce the sound. The lifters I have are 2 year old with 15k ford racing ones. They are the cheaper $125 set.

I have a pushrod checker, gauges of all sorts and every pushrod and shim available to my disposal lol.

These rockers are 1.6 and so are stock.

Back