• Register Today It's free!

Compass not working?

gadourym

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT V6
A couple of months ago, I noticed that the compass on my display is not working. It ALWAYS reads East, not matter what direction I'm traveling. On my older explorers there was an option to calibrate the compass, but I can't seem to find that setting anywhere. I don't really need the compass, but when I turn the display off, it just reappear next time I start the engine. It's really a case of now that I've noticed it, I see it all the time and it's starting to bug me. Is there a way to re calibrate it so it works again, or just turn the compass display off permanently? Either would work for me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple of months ago, I noticed that the compass on my display is not working. It ALWAYS reads East, not matter what direction I'm traveling. On my older explorers there was an option to calibrate the compass, but I can't seem to find that setting anywhere. I don't really need the compass, but when I turn the display off, it just reappear next time I start the engine. It's really a case of now that I've noticed it, I see it all the time and it's starting to bug me. Is there a way to re calibrate it so it works again, or just turn the compass display off permanently? Either would work for me!

To confirm...you have already read through your owners manual and followed the procedures? That still hasn’t fixed the issue?

Have you had the vehicle since it was new and has it worked before? Might sound like a silly question but there have been instances here where a member bought a used vehicle and was told that it had navigation when it didn't. I'm not sure if that makes a difference with the compass since my vehicles have always had nav + compass.

Peter

Thank you to everyone who's responded so far.

There is no indication in the owner's manual regarding compass calibration. The only mention is where the option is in the settings menu to disable it, but that only works until the next time you drive it and it comes right back.

I've owned this one for about a year and a half, it's my 3rd Explorer (previously had a 2000 & 2009). I'm not quite sure when this started, but I noticed it a couple of months ago.

Does anyone know where the sensor is? Maybe there is a calibration button to push. the display is on the dash on the LCD screen that shows the other odometer, fuel economy, menus, etc... I do NOT have the factory navigation, or the upgraded instrument cluster.

The GPSM (GPS module) is probably bad.

I have a 2017 explorer and the compass is stuck on north with the red circle. No matter where I go it's the same. Can someone please help? The dealer cannot fix it.

The dealer can't fix it? That's amazing. It doesn't seem like brain surgery. BTW, your comment is in the 3rd generation sub forum, 2002-2005.

I have a 2017 explorer and the compass is stuck on north with the red circle. No matter where I go it's the same. Can someone please help? The dealer cannot fix it.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your post was moved to the 5th gen Forum and merged with this existing thread.

Peter

Back