• Register Today It's free!

complete rear end

pat30

Reaction score
City, State
canton, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport 4.0
While tooling down the road tryin to loosen my load, there werent many women on my mind ( just work) when all hell broke loose, the worlds loudest explosion and then a perpetual noise like a bag of marbles being murdered came from under her. I knew, @ 247k on the 01 explorer sport,. her days were numbered. the shifter said "d" but the world outside said "p" i wasnt going anywhere. aaa on the way. so...while i waited ,...i realized she rolled while in park. then i realized she rolled in park but the drive shaft didnt turn,.....The rear diff,.....has to be. so i got her home, double checked her, and sure enough, after putting her in gear and listining to the hell from the rear diff, i decided she can make it to 300. I called around junkyards, found an 01 sport with 63k on her, mugged the complete rear end,..pumpkin, axles, hubs, brake calipers, and the leaf springs with shackles...400 bucks, a tube of rtv sealant, a bottle of 90-140w gear oil, break fluid and now im here on the forum. my intent is to pull and replace thus said repacement parts.

I have standard idiot tools, including the metric adjustable wrench. anyone have a nice proceedural step in doing this job? like how to get the unloaded springs back in place, or bleeding the breaks? anything to see coming before i get hit with impaitence? ....pat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No comments? Like do I have to bend an fight to get the leaf springs to line up with the bolt holes? Break bleed steps? If I break a bolt can I use any bolt thats at least grade a and the rite suze?

Is your truck 2wd or 4wd? If it's 4wd, I hope you checked to make sure you had the same gear ratio as what your front axle has. If not, you're in trouble.

Biggest fight you might have is getting the bolts out of the shackles. They can freeze up in the bushings and make removal miserable.

Best bet to answer all your questions is to either use the search button on this forum or go buy a Haynes or Chilton's repair manual (about $18 available at most auto stores).

Thanks j. The impact gun and wd40 were my best friend. Got it all swapped out cleand up and put back together except the brakes and e brake. i will bleed them after my coffie. Pump, bleed, pump bleed im guessin. The toughest part was actually man handeling the axil into place.

And the rear end came off a 01 sport. With 63k on it. All numbers matched on the pumpkin

Bleed the right rear wheel first, then the left wheel. You'll have better luck with getting all the air out of the system that way.

Oh, and for future projects, throw away the WD-40 and get a can of PB Blaster. Far better for breaking stuck items loose. WD-40 sucks as a penetrating fluid compared to PB Blaster.

The truck runs awsome!! No clunks bangs shakes shimmys, the tack doesnt go over 2.5 grand acceleration is smooth. Not to mention with fairly new leaf springs and new shocks...its like a 4 inch lift
The diff must of been goin for awhile. Im happy

for future projects, throw away the WD-40 and get a can of PB Blaster. Far better for breaking stuck items loose. WD-40 sucks as a penetrating fluid compared to PB Blaster.

You've obviously never tries Liquid Wrench, If a bolts stuck spray some liquid wrench on it an wait 10-15mins and that bad boy comes right out, had to do that to my shackles and when I took my roof rack off. IMHO it works better than PB Blaster, but that's just my opinion

Back