complete XLT interior fitting. Is it Possible? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

complete XLT interior fitting. Is it Possible?

N

it doesn’t have sync as far as I’m aware. Looks like I’m stuck with this unit. Until I can get something aftermarket... while you’re here, do you have any clue why my xlt seat would have stopped working? I had it installed yesterday and it was working fine, then I removed it to put in sound damper and insulation and when I reinstalled, nothing. I checked all the cables from the seat and those are fine...
Easy way to find out if it has sync push the phone button on the dash if it has sync it'll say no phone connected.. if it doesn't it'll say vehicle is not equipped with sync. If it has sync there's another module in there a bit lower, and as for the seat check and make sure you have 12v at the plug to it. If not sounds like a fuse.is this the driver or passenger seat?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy way to find out if it has sync push the phone button on the dash if it has sync it'll say no phone connected.. if it doesn't it'll say vehicle is not equipped with sync. If it has sync there's another module in there a bit lower, and as for the seat check and make sure you have 12v at the plug to it. If not sounds like a fuse.is this the driver or passenger seat?
Thanks I’ll check that out, any idea how the fuse would have went by just removing? And what fuse it is? The new head unit doesn’t have a phone button unless it’s on the screen, but when I had the old one in it did say no phone connected, I should go to the f150 4/8” forum for how to change the plugs?

If it said no phone connected it probably has sync there's a little black box that sits directly under the original 4" screen it has the same plug that the 8" APIM module. That is the one that needs pins moved. There's a few nice write-ups on it. I currently need to do it in my newest explorer. Just haven't had time

If it said no phone connected it probably has sync there's a little black box that sits directly under the original 4" screen it has the same plug that the 8" APIM module. That is the one that needs pins moved. There's a few nice write-ups on it. I currently need to do it in my newest explorer. Just haven't had time
Oh wow let me see about that black box. I hear you though, I didn’t realize how time consuming this stuff would be. You wouldn’t happen to be in socal?

Oh wow let me see about that black box. I hear you though, I didn’t realize how time consuming this stuff would be. You wouldn’t happen to be in socal?
Nope north east Ohio. Seems like not too many explorer people who modify around here either.

Thanks I’ll check that out, any idea how the fuse would have went by just removing? And what fuse it is? The new head unit doesn’t have a phone button unless it’s on the screen, but when I had the old one in it did say no phone connected, I should go to the f150 4/8” forum for how to change the plugs?
Do you have the 2014 Owner's Manual? All the fuses are listed in it. I don't know if the PIU layout is the same. That can be a problem that you sometimes run into when modifying certain items. The fuses should be #23 (driver's seat) and #42 (passenger) in the engine bay compartment.
I found this using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature. Not sure if it will help. BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products and Turbochargers | TSB and Wiring Diagrams Database End-User License Agreement

Peter

I do but I couldn't tell you where it is lol it's in the garage somewhere,those fuses are all the same I'm actually pretty certain the fuse panel is exact for all models. Just some slots left open.

Do you have the 2014 Owner's Manual? All the fuses are listed in it. I don't know if the PIU layout is the same. That can be a problem that you sometimes run into when modifying certain items. The fuses should be #23 (driver's seat) and #42 (passenger) in the engine bay compartment.
I found this using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature. Not sure if it will help. BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products and Turbochargers | TSB and Wiring Diagrams Database End-User License Agreement

Peter
Thanks Peter

Which seat is not working driver or passenger

Peter
Hey thanks again Peter, the fuse was blown. Now I just have to get some spares.

Hey so I double checked and the black box is there right under where the display goes. So this means I’m in luck haha? I can’t figure out how to post the image of it but it’s there. I just need the next steps, couldn’t find the thread you were referring to on the f150 forum.

Hey so I double checked and the black box is there right under where the display goes. So this means I’m in luck haha? I can’t figure out how to post the image of it but it’s there. I just need the next steps, couldn’t find the thread you were referring to on the f150 forum.

Yep you should be in luck here is a link to the how to on the fusion forums the guys on there are super helpful. Ford Sync 2 (MFT) and Sync 3 - Upgrade / Convert 4" to 8" Center Display

There's a page of the pinouts you can see what needs changed

Yep you should be in luck here is a link to the how to on the fusion forums the guys on there are super helpful. Ford Sync 2 (MFT) and Sync 3 - Upgrade / Convert 4" to 8" Center Display

There's a page of the pinouts you can see what needs changed
Awesome, that’s some good information. I ended up doing the (hopefully) more simple thing and purchased the 4-8” upgrade harness from 4D tech so hopefully it’s plug and play like they advertise. Have you done the center console install? I’m trying to figure out where these 2 u shaped brackets go.

Awesome, that’s some good information. I ended up doing the (hopefully) more simple thing and purchased the 4-8” upgrade harness from 4D tech so hopefully it’s plug and play like they advertise. Have you done the center console install? I’m trying to figure out where these 2 u shaped brackets go.
And how I can connect the rear hvac harness haha

He will need the second row bar brackets for the seats to latch when put in the down position there are 4.. 2 have 13mm bolts 2 have 15mm bolts.. And if he does a 3 Rd row he will need the 2 "Z" brackets that hold the seats down in the normal sitting position

I misread this statement when I bought my second row seat from a salvage place and just asked for the folding brackets on the front. Of course, I didn't realize my mistake until I removed both rear seats and didn't see what the seat latches should be grabbing. Anyway, I called the same junkyard and asked about the bar brackets and the guy that helped me before couldn't find a part number listed, but said he'd have the dismantler take a look at the donor Explorer. He called me back and said it looks like they're factory welded in. He asked someone at another junkyard, but hadn't heard back yet. This place is a parts store, not a u-wrench-it type place, so I don't have access to the yard. Is he just mistaken? Or could the latches be welded in? The donor is a 2014 XLT, I think.

No the latch bars are definitely bolted on outer ones are 2 13mm bolts and the inner ones are 2 15 mm bolts

Welcome to the Forum SweatyExplorer.:wave:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum SweatyExplorer.:wave:

Peter
Thanks! The name is SweatyExploder, btw ;). I joined in 2009 when my wife's '94 Explorer was having issues, but haven't been back until we came into possession of a 2015 PIU.

No the latch bars are definitely bolted on outer ones are 2 13mm bolts and the inner ones are 2 15 mm bolts
Thanks. I'm trying to avoid telling the parts guy directly that he's wrong, but it's hard to be diplomatic and assertive.

Hey.. how'sit going. I'm actually doing the same thing. with my 2014 PIU. can you tell me where I can find the brackets for the second row seats. And also, if you can help me with more details about powering up the passenger side seat.
Hello, its been a cpl years but I just saw this. Did your swap work out. I'd like to put interior from 2014 xlt exp. Into 2014 police Interceptor base unit with base radio. Wrecked xlt has syn 2. Thanks in advance if you see this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, its been a cpl years but I just saw this. Did your swap work out. I'd like to put interior from 2014 xlt exp. Into 2014 police Interceptor base unit with base radio. Wrecked xlt has syn 2. Thanks in advance if you see this
FYI, the member was last seen here on September 1, 2018 so I doubt you will get a response. Perhaps another member has done something similar and could help.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter

Back