• Register Today It's free!

Computer Chips for more mpg?

kenbob19

Reaction score
City, State
Spearfish, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
I am interested in getting more mpg's with my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport (not the sport track, just 2 door version) It has the V6 4.oL OHV engine. I am only getting 14mpg combined!! Only has 97,000 miles and I just flushed the tranny, 4x4, and I am running Mobil 1 Full synthetic. I was thinking of putting a K&N filter on it and installing a chip to get more mpgs. Any advice?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am interested in getting more mpg's with my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport (not the sport track, just 2 door version) It has the V6 4.oL OHV engine. I am only getting 14mpg combined!! Only has 97,000 miles and I just flushed the tranny, 4x4, and I am running Mobil 1 Full synthetic. I was thinking of putting a K&N filter on it and installing a chip to get more mpgs. Any advice?!

I am surprised that you're only producing that many MPG... shame!

my 2001 SOHC 4.0 gets 21 on average... and it has some engine issues even-- haha

any engine noises/ chassis vibrations/ BIGGER TIRES?

welcome

what is your air pressure at, and when was your last tune up. if your presure is low then that could be sapping milage, and if your plugs and wires arn't working at best that could also be dragging your mpg down. and as welle said, do you have bigger/ more agressive tires?

Justin

avoid the chip

As others have stated, you should be getting better mileage than that for the stock configuration in spite of your cold weather. If you don't have limited slip then you probably have standard axle lubrication. I spent 4 winters in North Dakota and the axles add a lot of drag in cold weather short trips. I suggest that you switch to full synthetic.

I agree that a custom tune will do more for you than an unreliable chip. But you need to get your vehicle up to par to get the most out of a custom tune. I think your money at this point is better spent on restoring the stock performance.

Is your CEL on? If so, what are the DTCs? Replace your fuel filter, spark plugs and wires if they haven't been replaced according to the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. Have you performed a compression test? I got 15 miles per gallon on my last tank driving in town and flooring the accelerator at least once on almost every short trip! I have the SOHC instead of your OHV.

Back