Computer code ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Computer code ?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
The 4 digit code on our trucks computers all appear to be different ( based on the lising for the Apten chip group purchase ).

Why are they all different? What is different? I can see why a V8 is different from a 6 but why are they different even with the same motor?

Thanks.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Emissions.

Every year they should probably be different because Ford has found a way to "tweak" the computer for better economy and lower emissions.

For older explorers, part of the reason why computer codes are different is because the addition of EGR in 92.5.

For newer explorers another reason is because the fuel system changed to returnless in 98, and the computer probably needed to be tweaked to compensate for that.

That would be understandable. What I am asking is why 5 different '99's with SOHC and auto trannys have 4 different codes?

jason_25, what about, for instance, my truck is a 98 with the code BAE2, but when i tried to sell my superchip a while ago (which i decided im keeping now ;) ), a bunch of people were interested, who owned 98 X's, but they all had different codes. just out of curiousity, do you know why that is?

Could the codes just have been specifically for how a specific engine acted? I only mention this because my old Honda had their TPSs permantly mounted on the TB depending on how each TB acted. I could imagine the same thing could hold true for complete engines and their computers.

Just an idea,

Robb

Back