Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Computer code ?

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by aldive, October 6, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 XLT
      The 4 digit code on our trucks computers all appear to be different ( based on the lising for the Apten chip group purchase ).

Why are they all different? What is different? I can see why a V8 is different from a 6 but why are they different even with the same motor?

Thanks.....

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      Emissions.

Every year they should probably be different because Ford has found a way to "tweak" the computer for better economy and lower emissions.

For older explorers, part of the reason why computer codes are different is because the addition of EGR in 92.5.

For newer explorers another reason is because the fuel system changed to returnless in 98, and the computer probably needed to be tweaked to compensate for that.

4. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      That would be understandable. What I am asking is why 5 different '99's with SOHC and auto trannys have 4 different codes?

5. tbomb

tbomb Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Levittown, NY (Long Island)
      98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
      jason_25, what about, for instance, my truck is a 98 with the code BAE2, but when i tried to sell my superchip a while ago (which i decided im keeping now ;) ), a bunch of people were interested, who owned 98 X's, but they all had different codes. just out of curiousity, do you know why that is?

6. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Could the codes just have been specifically for how a specific engine acted? I only mention this because my old Honda had their TPSs permantly mounted on the TB depending on how each TB acted. I could imagine the same thing could hold true for complete engines and their computers.

Just an idea,

Robb