• Register Today It's free!

Computer

raceace73

Reaction score
City, State
PITT.,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 EXPLORER
Alright so after changing a ton of stuff I borrowed the computer out of my brothers ranger and now mine seems to be running alright. I need to get one of my own and I was wondering what the best is?

Can I gain any fuel mileage in my OBD1 94?

Would using a OBD2 computer do me any good or harm?

Is it possible to use a OBD2 computer (ohv?)

More power and better mileage would be awesome but I do not know the limitations of the OBD1 computer.

Any help is appriciated.

Thanks,

The best ECU/ECM is the one that came with it from the factory. If it goes "bad", it's usually from the capacitors leaking onto the circuit board. Sometimes if the damage isn't widespread, the capacitors can just be replaced and the circuit board cleaned up. If there is damage to the motherboard, you'll have to get the delicate metal traces repaired, or replace them with wires to redo the connections that make things work.

Otherwise, you can buy refurbed ECU/ECMs from Rockauto or the parts store. Advance Auto sells them online and you can use their coupon codes to get a discount.

Make sure to get the same exact part number (such as F47F-12A650-CMA) and the same exact 4-digit program code. Those are specific to the engine and transmission options on the vehicle. If you throw on a diffrent one, it may work, but the mileage will suffer and it won't ever be quite right.

There's no way to use an OBDII computer without swapping over the entire wiring from an OBD II vehicle, and probably the engine too.

The best mileage is with the factory computer, anything else will usually decrease mileage, not improve it.

THank you Anime.

I actually had changed the engine in this 94 4.0 using a engine that was a 94/95 4.0. I noticed on the new motor it had what appeard to bean emmisions sensor on the exhaust. Since I did not have the computer for that I just did not hook it up. (its just a device in the one manifold). How would i get the correct computer chip number for that actual engine?
THanks,

94's had EGR sensors, as did 95+ models.

You'd need to get the computer out of the vehicle that engine came out of to be sure, otherwise it's just guessing and you'd have to find out which ECM/ECU codes go to which models that have the right options.

Of course, when you swap an engine from a vehicle that has different options (like the transmission) than the vehicle it's going into, you need to do the same thing.

If the computer from your brother's Ranger is working ok, and the Ranger has the same options as your Explorer (auto/manual transmission, EGR/Non-EGR, etc) and is the same year as the engine (94/95?) you at least have a starting point. You could buy a computer with those codes.

Back