1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Concerned

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by yohe, December 22, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. yohe

yohe Member

City, State:
      Newville, PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '96 XLT
      Please forgive me for asking this question since I am still somewhat new to the lifting scene but not new to the Explorers. And I hope this is the right place to post this.

I know that there is always a risk associated when modifying any vehicle, but I need a true opinion from those that have done the 3" body lift to a 2nd gen Explorer since I am in the process of getting one. Will it be overly prone to complications such as rollovers (more so than it is to begin with), handling problems or anything of the like since I do a lot of towing and driving with my "X"? I have tried to convince my wife that it will be fine, but I will be carrying our 2 most important things on earth that are ages 5 and 7, and I would like to try and put her mind at ease. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
      Mark

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

City, State:
      Itasca IL
      '96 XLT 4.0L OHV
      Mark,
      I think you'll need to adjust your driving style some. Try to remember that you're in a high center of gravity vehicle. Avoid high speeds in constant radius turns (highway on/off ramps). Use a defensive driving style to avoid situations where you'll be forced to make evasive side-to-side maneuvers (not always possible - see BBQ_Hotdogs 'accident' thread). Install some sort of suspension lift so that it's more capable of handling body lean in a modified vehicle such as yours (you might consider a 2" BL instead). Simply by posting this you're already half way there. :thumbsup:

Dave.

4. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      it will make the vehicles center of gravity higher, but the base of the vehicle is still ower at stock specs... the body although it seems like it is really heavy, isnt much the weight of a vehicle, most of the weight is the frame, tranny, tcase, engine, differentials

the vehicle will still be safe when doing a bodylift.. i have lifted my toyota truck about 7" more then stock, 4" suspension and 3" bodylift and it actually rides pretty smooth considering that its 20 years old.... my truck was lowered 3" from stock when i got it, and i can say now that my truck feels more attached to the road now that lifted with larger tires

5. ExplorerSportNu

ExplorerSportNu Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St.Louis - MO
      95 Sport/ExpeditionPkg
      You'll be fine, me personally have noticed lil difference at all since doing the 3" bl, mabey not quite the cornering ability I had before but I have pushed mine to the extreme with the 3" lift as far as wreckless driving and have not yet come close to rolling or tipping knock on wood :hammer: Had it on three wheels but never on the verge of tipping as long as you don't consider three wheels too crazy. I hardly notice IMHO except for the cornering like stated. I tow a boat & waverunners with mine and also noticed lil difference when towing compared to 3" lift and stock. Gd Lck ;)

6. yohe

yohe Member

City, State:
      Newville, PA
      '96 XLT
      Thanks for the replys. It is pretty much what I have already said and ya'll just reinforced it for me. Thanks again.

Mark