1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

cone air filter messed up...

Discussion in 'Modified Explorations!!' started by skoobydoobiedew, January 1, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. skoobydoobiedew

skoobydoobiedew Active Member

City, State:
      St. Paul, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '91 EB
      Okay... I bought this *bomz racing* filter and adapter off of ebay... and when i installed it my truck ran really rough. I checked all of my sensors and they are fine.. i just cant get my computer to adapt to the new changes... i reset it.. no luck.. took off neg. battery cable.. no luck.. i tried it all.. so if any one has any thoughts i would LOVe to hear!!! thanks all!!!!

-joey

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      '93 XLT 4x4
      I am assuming it is like a KKM unit. What did you do with the vacuum hoses that attached to the bi-metal sensor on top of the Stock airbox? The hose running to the intake manifold must be capped off to prevent a vacuum leak.

4. Afboy143

Afboy143 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Tampa,FL
      1999 Ford Explorer Sport
      i too had this same problem when I made my own adapter. DeRocha, I dont see any vacuum hose that went to the air box anywhere. Anyone care to chime in with some pictures or something

5. IAmTodd

IAmTodd 4x Explorer Veteran

City, State:
      Johnstown, PA
      2001 Jeep Cherokee
      I do believe those hoses are only for first gens.

6. skoobydoobiedew

skoobydoobiedew Active Member

City, State:
      St. Paul, MN
      '91 EB
      I noticed those vacuum lines too, (1994 xlt) when i removed the bimetal sensor from the stock air box I just put it back and attatched the lines again.. i thought maybe i had them crossed.. so i switched them.. still no luck.. ive heard that the tube between the maf and the throttle body, if cracked, can pull more air in with a better filter that the maf cant detect (after the sensor) i found a few small holes.. and patched those up with goop.. i cleaned my maf sensor and my iat sensor.. i guess im just running out of ideas. for now i have my stock air box until i figure this thing out.. thanks for all of your input!!! any more would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks!!!!

-joey

7. dreamr

dreamr Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lynnwood WA
      99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
      My 99 did not have that vacuum line on the stock airbox. However by the sounds of things vacuum leaks are ther first thing I would check for. The propane torch method (UNLIT) will work well to exam all those connections and help find the culprit.