Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front

Black Eyed

Reaction score
City, State
Riyadh
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2015 base model
Hello.

Yes, It's true and confirmed at least on two Explorers has this issue including mine.

After My dealer did TSB in 2016, i didn't notice the smell then it's back again. i tried to seal everything in the back of my Ex and no improvement.

So i had this idea and I posted this before

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

After the latest fix with changing the exhaust to make the flow towards down, there is a big deference but the smell still there.

i did some additional sealing on the back door to make sure there is no leaking point but also the smell is there.

i believe the smell also finds a way to leak inside from the front " fresh air intake"
fresh_air_intake.jpg

since the cat converters is located right next to the engine i think they are our main issue.

i have noticed after every long drive when i go out of the car i immediately smell the same smell from the sides, if i come closer to the front tiers the smell gets stronger. which prove it's a cat converters issue.

i don't know why ford designers put the cat converters is such location , should be right beneath the car like most of the cars, easy to change also will not cause extra heat to the engine room.

i think the best way to fix this issue to change the entire exhaust system from the engine to the end back and relocate the cats to be beneath the car.

also ford needs to check the front a\c fresh air intake this is also may cause the issue.

and since then this idea never left my mind so what i did is i sealed the hood rubber with silicon filler underneath the rubber " all of it"

IMG_1086.jpg

and BOOM. i was shocked i would say 92% of the smell has gone ! but i had to confirm it

so i posted this.

Who is ready to do a little simple experiment ? I need someone who's facing this issue with a lot of smell when hard acceleration.

All you need a duct tape and a silicon filler black if possible. Because i've done something and there is a good result but i want to make sure before posting it here.

If any one want to do it please send me a private message.

If it didn't work i will post it anyway maybe it will work for others.

And Mr

Manuel Garcia

Was ready to confirm my theory, he never done any TSB with the dealer and he was facing this issue a lot and the smell was very vey bad. so he sealed the engine rubber and guess what ? Yes it worked for him too.

Almost the smell has gone. then we tried another thing, covering the fresh air intake with duct tape and it also worked even better than the silicon. but this is not a solution, we can't keep the duct tape covering the fresh air intake.

Now lets explain this issue, basically there are two issues.

1.Exhaust Leak from the engine side that will not appear unless there is a hard acceleration.
2. Fresh Air Intake leaks.

and what happen is while acceleration the engine bay gets filled by exhaust odors and the odors finds a way to leak inside cabin through Fresh Air intake.
So anyone want to confirm this go ahead and cover your fresh air intake with duct tape

IMG_1124.jpg

then go for a ride and try

Careful: the duct tape is not a solution, only to confirm this leak, when you use the duct tape don't run the A\C on non circulation that might damage the A\C fan.

To solve this issue permanently, The whole Fresh Air intake plastic peace need to be take off then seal every whole in it from the engine side and seal the hood rubber with silicon . but for now the silicon is working fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems to me that if exhaust gases are filling your engine bay and making their way into the fresh air intake, that would be indicative of an exhaust leak, such as a cracked manifold, gasket leak, or something similar, in the engine bay.

Just a thought, but it may be "cleaner" to just use a double sided adhesive/foam tape to seal the rubber weatherstrip at the back edge of the hood.

I don't think that is the same as the CO issue that the TSB is trying to address.

I'm tempted to go along with KayGee. I don't see how exhaust gases from the rear can enter the cabin from the front when the air flow is toward the rear when you're driving. Also, the work done in the TSB you had done in 2016 would not be the same as the work now being done with the latest bulletin.

Peter

It seems to me that if exhaust gases are filling your engine bay and making their way into the fresh air intake, that would be indicative of an exhaust leak, such as a cracked manifold, gasket leak, or something similar, in the engine bay.

Just a thought, but it may be "cleaner" to just use a double sided adhesive/foam tape to seal the rubber weatherstrip at the back edge of the hood.

I don't think that is the same as the CO issue that the TSB is trying to address.

My Explorer has only 30K and i'm facing this issue since i bought it brand new. My point is i think the CO Inside cabin issue is there is a leak in the engine side - manifold which causing this issue.

since the latest TSB 17-0044 didn't work with some people here. Ford should consider this.

anyway. let's see what will happen when the members test their Ex with my idea.

I'm tempted to go along with KayGee. I don't see how exhaust gases from the rear can enter the cabin from the front when the air flow is toward the rear when you're driving. Also, the work done in the TSB you had done in 2016 would not be the same as the work now being done with the latest bulletin.

Peter

of course the gases will not come from the rear back to the engine bay against the air flow. there is a leak in the engine bay which causing this issue.

Even the latest TSB 17-0044 didn't work for some members here as i read in this post

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

Hello.

Yes, It's true and confirmed at least on two Explorers has this issue including mine.

After My dealer did TSB in 2016, i didn't notice the smell then it's back again. i tried to seal everything in the back of my Ex and no improvement.

So i had this idea and I posted this before

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

and since then this idea never left my mind so what i did is i sealed the hood rubber with silicon filler underneath the rubber " all of it"

and BOOM. i was shocked i would say 92% of the smell has gone ! but i had to confirm it

so i posted this.

And Mr

Manuel Garcia

Was ready to confirm my theory, he never done any TSB with the dealer and he was facing this issue a lot and the smell was very vey bad. so he sealed the engine rubber and guess what ? Yes it worked for him too.

Almost the smell has gone. then we tried another thing, covering the fresh air intake with duct tape and it also worked even better than the silicon. but this is not a solution, we can't keep the duct tape covering the fresh air intake.

Now lets explain this issue, basically there are two issues.

1.Exhaust Leak from the engine side that will not appear unless there is a hard acceleration.
2. Fresh Air Intake leaks.

and what happen is while acceleration the engine bay gets filled by exhaust odors and the odors finds a way to leak inside cabin through Fresh Air intake.
So anyone want to confirm this go ahead and cover your fresh air intake with duct tape

then go for a ride and try

Careful: the duct tape is not a solution, only to confirm this leak, when you use the duct tape don't run the A\C on non circulation that might damage the A\C fan.

I made a Youtube video to explain where are the leaks i will post it later

To solve this issue permanently, The whole Fresh Air intake plastic peace need to be take off then seal every whole in it from the engine side and seal the hood rubber with silicon . but for now the silicon is working fine.

I did this in my vehicle, the ford with the tape is my 2015 xlt, is working 100%, all the people in the forum need to try this.

I'd try to report your findings to in the on going investigation. Leaking exhaust manifolds were common on Police Interceptors as well and Ford should deal with this issue as part of their TSB.

I'd try to report your findings to in the on going investigation. Leaking exhaust manifolds were common on Police Interceptors as well and Ford should deal with this issue as part of their TSB.

That’s great.

But I already tried to report this to Ford with no luck. I would appreciate if you try.

That’s great.

But I already tried to report this to Ford with no luck. I would appreciate if you try.

Ford only has their best interest in mind. Go here: NHTSA

I just received the recall from ford last week. Does this not fix the issue on my 2015?

Fords not dumb, they probably have a few dozen engineers go over the issues. Whatever they release for whatever issue is up to them. I would buy a battery operated CO detector with a digital readout to confirm any findings.

Instead of silicone I would have replaced the hood seal with a new one and tested the fit by sliding a feeler gauge under it etc. If there were any gaps I would use a thin automotive foam tape to make a tighter seal, maybe even use it on the hood side.

The smell could be coolant venting also.

Fords not dumb, they probably have a few dozen engineers go over the issues. Whatever they release for whatever issue is up to them. I would buy a battery operated CO detector with a digital readout to confirm any findings.

Instead of silicone I would have replaced the hood seal with a new one and tested the fit by sliding a feeler gauge under it etc. If there were any gaps I would use a thin automotive foam tape to make a tighter seal, maybe even use it on the hood side.

The smell could be coolant venting also.

I don't think that replacing the hood rubber will do anything, sealing the rubber with silicone is better even for a water leak, sometimes when i wash the car i found little water drops above the engine rubber cover comes from the rubber side. but since the main issue is not from the rubber, Ford should investigate why there is an exhaust leak in the engine bay.

Knowing that there have been cracked manifolds in PIUs, it wouldn't surprise me to find some in the Explorers as well, unless the cracks were only on 3.7s. I've had a couple of theories as to how it could be coming from the front, but I can't find anything on mine to confirm it.

After i sealed the hood rubber with the silicone i found another leak by spraying A\C refresher inside the Air Intake.

since this leak from inside the Fresh Air intake, exhaust odors can leak inside through this leak point.

Knowing that there have been cracked manifolds in PIUs, it wouldn't surprise me to find some in the Explorers as well, unless the cracks were only on 3.7s. I've had a couple of theories as to how it could be coming from the front, but I can't find anything on mine to confirm it.

If this is true then Ford should check the mainfolds in the reported Explorers. the crack leaks odors to the engine cabin then leaks into the fresh air intake. there is no other explanation i guess.

i need to go under my vehicle and check the mainfold.

May i ask to stick this thread to confirm from other members if they want to check their Explorers by sealing the rubber and covering the fresh air intake to confirm this ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I Wouldn't be surprised if i found a crack in my exhaust manifold. I will consider this another prove to my theory.

Back