Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Confirming leaking heater core

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by Ilikemice, June 27, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Ilikemice

Ilikemice Active Member

City, State:
    Midlands, UK
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 XLT
    Hi all, i did an 8hr drive and the cabin started to smell like coolant. It's worse when the fans/heater are on. No leaks under the dash, but there's an open pipe on the passenger side sticking out of the firewall that now dumps a bit of liquid onto the exhaust when stopped. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new heater core, assuming my diagnosis is correct :)

1999 4.0l SOHC, btw

P.S. what is that little pipe for? It sticks out under the passenger side head about an inch

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    Smell of antifreeze is a good indicator. Also, if you run the defrost, you'll probably get an oily film on the window.