Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Considering a 96 Explorer XLT

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by nitro71, July 3, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. nitro71

nitro71 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Spokane WA
    I'm thinking about buying a 96 4x4 Explorer with a manual transmission. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet but it looks good from the outside.

Was wondering if there was anything to be leary of or watch for on that year of Explorer?

As far as I can research it sounds like it should have a OHV engine and a 1354 transfer case. Does that sound right?

I'd be working at keeping it bone stock and using it as a daily driver.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. yavapaires

yavapaires Active Member

City, State:
    Dewey, Az
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 XLT
    I bought a 96 XLT with the 4.0 OHV engine and automatic with Control Track 4x4. 142000 miles and it seems to be OK. the only real problem is valve train noise, I think it is a lifter. Thank God is is the OHV and not the OHC engine. Just my personal preference. I do believe I will be doing the "brown wire mod" before next winter. When I want four wheel drive, I don't want some computer deciding when I need it or not.

4. nitro71

nitro71 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Spokane WA
    My 93 had the same engine and it was noisy. Had a ton of miles on it and was going strong. Wish I still had it.