Console Inserts??

UnlukyMo

Reaction score
City, State
Sedalia, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Hello,

New to the forum - so hello to everyone.

Bought a 2012 Explorer Limited and really liking it so far. The PO had kids apparently as even though the car is extremely clean, it seems every thing that is "loose" in the car is missing. Media console rubber bumpers (replaced), cup holder rubber inserts (on order) etc.

My question is - the console is just one big empty hole. Maybe it was factory like that, but I wondered if it came with some kind of top shelf or divider or coin holder or something that is missing?

I am that **** guy who buys used cars and massages them back to perfect and keeps them that way, but I am not finding it easy to figure out what is missing or parts diagrams that are easy to find or read. My local ford parts guy is great, but he is struggling to find things on the prints as well.

A diagram site with part numbers would be great. On my old BWM's I use realoem.com and something like that would be awesome for this!

Anyway - thanks for reading and any help you can toss my way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum UnlukyMo.:wavey:
There should be a coin holder (045C22) that fits in the rearward most position of the console. Price shown is $42.07. The attached is from www.fordparts.com

Peter

Attachments

• Floor Console Insert.jpg
    Floor Console Insert.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 672

Thank You!

That is what I was wondering. I can't seem to find anything on that site. I guess I need to learn the knack of it. I enter that part number at the fordparts.com and it says it does not recognize it. I guess there needs to be some leading numbers maybe?

There is a holder of some sorts inside the console at the front bottom, and I wondered if this held something. I was looking on the wrong side.

Thanks again!

Matt

That is what I was wondering. I can't seem to find anything on that site. I guess I need to learn the knack of it. I enter that part number at the fordparts.com and it says it does not recognize it. I guess there needs to be some leading numbers maybe?

There is a holder of some sorts inside the console at the front bottom, and I wondered if this held something. I was looking on the wrong side.

Thanks again!

Matt

Matt.

Try this: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2012&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search

fordparts.com, if you like create an acct., imput your vin, then go to Body, Ash tray and cup holder.

You have to look for a specific item and click onm the diagram. The diagram will pup-up with a catalog description for each item in the diagram.

Hope this helps.

Matt, just to clarrify, you don't need an account. I just enter the year, make, model from the drop down lists and then click on 'Search Catalog and you will have all the major parts you can select from. I selected 'Console' and then then it listed all the associared parts. Clicking on the small diagram will bring up a larger one like I attached in post #2 . There will them be a further listing of the parts in the diagram as BobbyMarks mentioned and they can also sometimes be expanded. That list does not copy when I saved the image.

Matt, just to clarrify, you don't need an account. I just enter the year, make, model from the drop down lists and then click on 'Search Catalog and you will have all the major parts you can select from. I selected 'Console' and then then it listed all the associared parts. Clicking on the small diagram will bring up a larger one like I attached in post #2 . There will them be a further listing of the parts in the diagram as BobbyMarks mentioned and they can also sometimes be expanded. That list does not copy when I saved the image.

Txs Peter.

Was this a private sale? Because If I would have bought this from a dealer, I would have the dealer replace the missing parts.

No, from a Dealer

No - it was from a dealer, but not a Ford dealer. Used with 60K miles - so you get what you pay for. Car is very clean, just missing these little odds and ends.

I can't get the hang of the fordparts.com site. I seem to be able to find something once I know what it is, but just surfing I can't find anything.

I am sure I will get better at it!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Matt

Holy mother of injection molded rip-offs!

I know, Ford has to make money. But $42 list for a stinking 10 cent piece of injected molded plastic? OK, I'll call it a buck when you amortize the cost of the mold and overhead for the plant that makes it, etc.

One of the online places sells it for $28, which still gives them a 100%+ markup, I'm sure.

I bought the turn signal switch for $35, and the front suspension piece that went bad for under $30. Those had some time invested in them. This thing just cranks out of a molding machine all day and has a little cleanup work done to it.

I accidentally busted the tabs off mine when I was reaching into the cubby from outside the car and slipped, putting some weight on the insert. I thought it might be $12 or $15. At $42, or even $28, I'll just go to the hardware store and look for some little thin button headed screws that will fit into the slots.

Holy mother of injection molded rip-offs!

I know, Ford has to make money. But $42 list for a stinking 10 cent piece of injected molded plastic? OK, I'll call it a buck when you amortize the cost of the mold and overhead for the plant that makes it, etc.

One of the online places sells it for $28, which still gives them a 100%+ markup, I'm sure.

I bought the turn signal switch for $35, and the front suspension piece that went bad for under $30. Those had some time invested in them. This thing just cranks out of a molding machine all day and has a little cleanup work done to it.

I accidentally busted the tabs off mine when I was reaching into the cubby from outside the car and slipped, putting some weight on the insert. I thought it might be $12 or $15. At $42, or even $28, I'll just go to the hardware store and look for some little thin button headed screws that will fit into the slots.

I had the same reaction to the $42 price for that; glad it can be found cheaper elsewhere. On the whole I find Ford parts to be refreshingly reasonably priced. I had Audis and BMWs where parts like that would be easily $150 or more. I just fixed a piece of black ABS plastic that broke off an in-law's Volvo XC-90 tailgate. Single piece of rectangular plastic with a couple of clips on it - $180. Now that was a rip off!

I just picked up a couple of those little nylon inserts, like the ones that are used to install a license plate, except smaller. These were made for a #8 screw. I bought a couple short screws to go along with it. I also bought some washers, but didn't use them.

I drilled a couple small holes for the screws in the coin tray, started the screws into the inserts, put them into the rectangular holes in the armrest insert and tightened them up. Not perfect, but should hold up just fine. If I find they are a little too loose, I'll just put a couple wraps of tape around them to tighten them up in the holes.

$1.00 well spent.

i-Djpgfnj-M.jpg

Back