How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Great thread, the wireing is very useful. I know 410 had some problems finding the linkage/ shifter parts. I just got mine from Ford, so I figured I'd give you the numbers:

Lower lever (part that bolts to the transmission) F65Z7210BC
Upper lever (the rod in the cab) F65Z7210AB
Rubber boot F75Z7277AA
Linkage (piece that connects to the t/c) XL3Z7B051AA

Hope this helps someone out there looking into doing this swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to be kidding me! My dealer told me its not listed and none are available, and the guy I go to is a friend who knows his stuff!

I cant wait to rub this in his face hahaha

Nice post!

I am making progress, I FOUND my tailhousing, speed sensor, etc :)

i told ya Jamie, you just didnt believe me. Im heart broken. :p

AMMO_HOOAH said:
Great thread, the wireing is very useful. I know 410 had some problems finding the linkage/ shifter parts. I just got mine from Ford, so I figured I'd give you the numbers:

Lower lever (part that bolts to the transmission) F65Z7210BC
Upper lever (the rod in the cab) F65Z7210AB
Rubber boot F75Z7277AA
Linkage (piece that connects to the t/c) XL3Z7B051AA

Hope this helps someone out there looking into doing this swap.

Very nice info, thanks! My Ford dealer couldn't find it either (some people need training!) I will update the first post with this.

Did you do the conversion?

The t/c goes in tomorrow!

so what do you guys do about the front axle dont the 4x4 ones have a disconnect and the awd one are full time. I am looking int doing the swap on mine but with an electric t case

only the 95 models had the passenger side vacuum axleshaft disconnect
all 4x4 and AWD models after that have no disconnect, the front hubs are lokced to the cv's full time, so the front driveshaft will spin, but MPG is still a HUGE improvement and 4x4 hi makes the AWD look stupid IMO. I would much rather have a 50/50 split then 60/40 with the clutch like the AWD t case has.

On the ice and snow there is no comparision, AWD was good but 4x4 hi is much better. I plan to swap in a 95 style IFS with the disconnect eventually since my 96 will remain IFS, even if I do go with a Dixon bros long travel a arm suspension kit to eliminate the torsion bars and skip the drop bracket type IFS lifts.

Actually the split front/rear is 35/65 respectively :p

MountaineerGreen said:
15.You may want to fashion a cover to limit mud water and air from entering the cabin, just make certain it doesn’t interfere with the shifter function. Yes, that is a license plate I used to make my cover.
transfercase_022_Medium_.jpg

Won't this basically keep you from being able to play in the mud or do high water crossings?

if you seal it right that not a problem.

I used a boot mounted on both sides of the opening in the floor. with some simple metal rings, silicoln and pop rivets it would be 100% sealed.

This boot is from a Geyo tracker I pulled it at the junk yard.
boot1.jpg

boot2.jpg

The carpet helps
boot3.jpg

• 1997-200? Expedition/Navigator 4x4 rear driveshaft. Suspension set up makes no difference that I can tell.

Donor MUST be a 5.4!

Dad and I went 'round and 'round this weekend trying to find every Expedition we could crawl under with a tape measure.

The skinny is: the 5.4's have a longer transmission than the one behind a 4.6 - The rear DS from a 4.6 is about 4-5" too long.

There are also two styles of rear driveshafts available, one is a dual cardan.

Mountaineer, that was my father emailing you this weekend. Thanks for your help! He surprised me by doing this swap before selling me his Mounty and not telling me until I climbed into it this weekend :D

I will soon have a V8 + 265's + 4.10's + Manual 4x4 Low! :bounce:

Donor MUST be a 5.4!

Dad and I went 'round and 'round this weekend trying to find every Expedition we could crawl under with a tape measure.

The skinny is: the 5.4's have a longer transmission than the one behind a 4.6 - The rear DS from a 4.6 is about 4-5" too long.

There are also two styles of rear driveshafts available, one is a dual cardan.

Mountaineer, that was my father emailing you this weekend. Thanks for your help! He surprised me by doing this swap before selling me his Mounty and not telling me until I climbed into it this weekend :D

I will soon have a V8 + 265's + 4.10's + Manual 4x4 Low! :bounce:

Humm, I can't see how the transmissions would be different, but you've done your homework, so I believe you. I'll amend my first post with your info.

I heard about the dual cardan driveshaft, it was usually on the air suspension expos, never saw one in person though.

It just so happened that I had a tape measure laying around and just had got home when I saw that post asking for the measurement. I went right back into the garage and measured it. I like to help all I can to convert AWD's to 4x4's.

My rear d shaft came from a an Expedition with a 4.6L, it has been in the ex since the conversion and works 100%

My rear d shaft came from a an Expedition with a 4.6L, it has been in the ex since the conversion and works 100%

Are you sure its from a 4.6? Dad and I have measured the driveshafts in 3 4.6 trucks and they were all too long (39" yoke/yoke). We found 2 5.4 trucks and verified that they have the correct length DS for our swap (34" yoke/yoke).

MountaineerGreen said:
Humm, I can't see how the transmissions would be different, but you've done your homework, so I believe you. I'll amend my first post with your info.

I know, sounds wierd but the transmissions are completely different. The tranny cross member even mounts on the frame rail in different locations on a 4.6 and 5.4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back