How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Hi All -
I too have started my "parts collection quest".
Located a manual 4406 in a 2000 F150 today but it has a 5 speed manual trans. Any difference in the trans. part of the T-case that would bolt to the auto trans on my Mountaineer?(I think that question made sense) I could not really tell when I was looking at it as it is still in the truck itself at the salvage yard. Also, any issues with the front drive shaft, I'm guessing manual trans makes no difference on that end but I don't want to assume....otherwise I will grab it too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi MountaineerGreen -
yes, a 4.6 I believe. (motor was already out) but the gentleman at the front desk was quite sure it had been a V-8. I will have to double check the VIN next time I go out to be sure.

Thanks Evan. I'm going to review your conversion & JT's, then go back to the yard and check it out. Hopefully I'll get lucky because it's complete - shifter lever, linkage, etc.!

I'd get the TC and shift linkage, the front shaft may or may not be right. The transmission length is what determines the lengths of the drive shafts. That's why the others have discovered those other two vehicles to pull the shafts from, the trans in each. Try to find out what driveshaft would be used for that manual truck versus the 4.6 auto trans version. Regards,

Thanks CDW,
that is good advice about the driveshaft, I will follow up accordingly.
I will definitley go after the transfer case and linkage if nothing else.

whats up i got a awd expolder 5.0 with a torshin twist and war shackles. and 33"12.5 mud terr. but the awd is killin me:( . i need a compleat parts list so i know what im lookin for. drive shafts and all .

Items needed:

• Manual shift BW4406 from 1997-2003 F150, there are three part numbers that I know of and cannot find any appreciable difference between them other than possible speed sensor issues.
  • Shift linkage including stick from the same or similar truck as the same transfer case.
  • 1997-200? Expedition/Navigator 4x4 rear driveshaft. Suspension set up makes no difference that I can tell. Must be from a 5.4 V8 equipped vehicle
  • 1997-200? F150/Expedition front driveshaft (obviously from a 4x4) Must be from a 4.6 V8 equipped vehicle
  • Conversion U Joint Autozone P/N: 185793, PDQ/Brute Force #1-0134.
  • Shift boot of your preference
  • Tube of sealant

Lower lever (part that bolts to the transmission) F65Z7210BC
Upper lever (the rod in the cab) F65Z7210AB
Rubber boot F75Z7277AA
Linkage (piece that connects to the t/c) XL3Z7B051AA
4406 Manual Transfer Knob F2TZ7213A
4406 Lockout Switch (4wd indicator sensor) 4L327E440AB

Best guess is about $100 for the linkage parts, no boot or knob.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is copied from the first page of this write up by MG, He has all that listed on the first page, as well as the for part numbers for the linkage in case you can not get that else where...

You need to tell us what T case you used

Does your 97 Explorer use a speedometer cable?
Does the transfer case you used have a speed sensor?

The information you need to fix your speedo is here in this thread, you just need to look harder.
from all of the 4406 conversions posted on the explorer forum now I believe this conversion has been done every way possible, so the information is out there

hay man thanks i found it i got to use the sensor out of my awd case but he info on this thread has been more than a helpthe swop was good. i just got the wrong frot drive shaft it was cataloged wrong at the junk yard

hey sparky or MG, where did you guys find the connector for the indicator light? i cant seem to find one and ford wants $45 for one :eek: and all f-150s in northern colorado junk yards have mysteriously disappeared......

hey sparky or MG, where did you guys find the connector for the indicator light? i cant seem to find one and ford wants $45 for one :eek: and all f-150s in northern colorado junk yards have mysteriously disappeared......

If you know the guys at a yard, pull your indicator, find a plug that fits it shape wise. Ford uses the same plug in other areas, mine came from a later model superduty harness I think. I had to grind the "fin" off my indicator to let the connector slip on, but it hasn't been an issue.

I used a spare two wire seat belt chime connector male and female I had laying around
I keep LOTS of male and female wiring plugs in all shapes and sizes... usually the junk yard will only charge me $1 or so for a whole bag full

I use them ALOT

The indicator lamp plug from the manual BW1354 transfer case (used in some Rangers and Explorers) is the same as the one that the manual 4406 has. That's what I used for my 4406 swap.

anybody figure out which t-case is which?
since there are atleast 3 different 4406.
There's a manual 4406 with VSS on t-case.
There's a manual 4406 without VSS on case.
There's an automatic 4406.
Then there's a 4406 with TOD (Torque-On-Demand), but it may be the auto? I'm not sure.

When searching car-part.com for a t-case from a 2000 F150, these are the choices:

manual shift, ID XL34-7A195-AB
manual shift, ID XL34-7A195-AC
electric shift

between the 2 manuals, I assume 1 has VSS the other does not.

edit: FYI, I believe the 4405 and 4406 have the same size/spline-count front output shaft. If this is the case, you could swap the output shafts, and continue to use the OEM front driveshaft. Obviously I haven't measured both, but I have a 4405 output, and saw a 4406 output, and they do look the same (but of course spline count, diameter, etc could be different). But they are both held in via circlips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are different. There are at least three TOD BW4406 TC's. The early one has the VSS, then through 2002 does not. The 2003 models are also different in some way, not usable for these swaps.

Back