How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
quick question and i don't know if it's on here or not but, what are the gear ratios in the 4406 transfer case, and what's in the rear end of the the vehicle. I'm assuming this isn't an issue, but just out of curiosity just incase i would want to change them. how would i do so in the transfer case, does it take a standard ring and pinion or something els? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

quick question and i don't know if it's on here or not but, what are the gear ratios in the 4406 transfer case, and what's in the rear end of the the vehicle. I'm assuming this isn't an issue, but just out of curiosity just incase i would want to change them. how would i do so in the transfer case, does it take a standard ring and pinion or something els? Thanks

Welcome

Ratio:
2H 1:1
4H 1:1
4L 2.75:1 (approximately)

It's definately not a standard ring and pinion
Google "Borg Warner 4406 Cut Away" I think there is a diagram out there somewhere I remember seeing.

hey nice write up, very detailed and informative but i had a question and was wondering if you could do this with a v6? ive got the 4406 in it i just want the floor shift because i don't trust my knob on the dash as much as i do with the good old floor shifter.

hey nice write up, very detailed and informative but i had a question and was wondering if you could do this with a v6? ive got the 4406 in it i just want the floor shift because i don't trust my knob on the dash as much as i do with the good old floor shifter.

are you sure you have the 4406?
The BW4406 comes from a full-size, not an RBV. Plus, it doesn't fit behind a V6.

t-case to transmission bolt patterns are different between V8 and V6.

Can it be done? Sure. But it would cost a good few pennies for a custom made adapter to mate the fullsize 6-bolt 4406 to the V6 transmission.

I think a V6 trans might fall apart in front of the monster 4406 t case even if there was a way, t case is a beast!

If you have the 4405 then you are looking to do a BW1354 manual conversion, try searching this forum! similar to this swap, but it bolts up to the V6

Does it matter what size engine the donner truck is?Or any v-8 4X4 will do.

Thanks, awesome info!

The switch and pigtail look like the ones used on a REVERSE light sw, for
a Ranger 5 speed. - They may have the pigtail at NAPA or others, if you ask for it as a REVERSE light.

Does it matter what size engine the donner truck is?Or any v-8 4X4 will do.

Thanks, awesome info!

im 99% sure the 4406 was only on the 5.4 liters from 1997 to 2004 heritage models. this includes the f-150, expedition, navigator, and i believe the light duty f-250.

Mine was from a 2002 F-150, I believe 5.4L but I think it was in both engine sizes. Manual shifts are wicked hard to come by in Navigators and Expeditions because they are a little more designed for comfort of the wife's that drive them to.

Thanks guys.

Ifound a guy with a 99 f150 manual case but the engine is a 4.6.

He also has both d-shafts(from two different expi's) i need,he said $250 for all.

Does the t-case say 4406 on it somewhere so i can have him check?

Thanks again guys,i'm looking forward to this conversion.

it should have a metal tag on it, and somewhere on that metal tag would say 44 06 or 44-06, something along those lines.

99 5 speed 4.6L F-150 came with a BW 4406, yes it will be stamped on the case

get the shifter linkage, boot, driveshafts, everything you can!! Dont forget part of the linkage is bolted to the transmission tailhousing, so often it is left behind, still attached to the trans.....get that part if you can!

$250 is smoking deal

99 will not have a VSS

I dont need the d-shafts from the f-150 right?,just the expi ones.

He has the whole truck,so all the parts are there.

No VSS thats a good thing right?My X is a 2000

yes you do not need the VSS, so its okay

get the driveshafts anyways, the front one may work, and the rear can be lengthened for $150 to work, if you cant find the correct Expediition shafts

Ditto, the front shaft should be right(4.6), and you will need a rear shaft from a 5.4 truck(shorter).

I just found out its an auto,4.6 auto.

I'll call the guy tomorrow and find out if its a 4406.

Thanks guys,huge help.

What other 4WD TC was used in any F series vehicle for 1997 up? I think unless you get to some bigger engine than the 4.6 or 5.4, they are all BW4406's(manual or TOD).

What other 4WD TC was used in any F series vehicle for 1997 up? I think unless you get to some bigger engine than the 4.6 or 5.4, they are all BW4406's(manual or TOD).

the BW 1356 was also used for some years.
it's larger than the 4406.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is that BW1356 used for? Is that an electric unit anything like the 1354?

Back