1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Converting AWD to 2WD question

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by jleehoyle567, August 1, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. jleehoyle567

jleehoyle567 New Member

City, State:
    LENOIR, NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 MOUNTAINEER
    I have my 03 Mounty and never for any reason need AWD. I have an F250 4x4 for snow and towing etc. Which brings me to my question...

Can the transfer case be removed from the Mounty and just put a driveshaft from a 2wd X in its place? Also will I have to go to extreme lengths to put a U-joint at the output shaft or is it a slip yoke type that can just slide on splines?

My t-case is destroyed and was that way when i bought the Mounty, and like I said I have no reason to replace it.

Any advice?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 43

43 Active Member

City, State:
    Coppell, Texas
    2005 VW Touareg
    I really dont want to get too optimistic, but i have been looking for the correct items for a awd swap and would be interested in trading... what i have heard in my quest for 4 wheel power, is that you will need a new tail shaft housing for 2wd because it's different then awd, but other then that, its pretty simple and straight forward it seems...

4. jleehoyle567

jleehoyle567 New Member

City, State:
    LENOIR, NC
    2003 MOUNTAINEER
    i would be more than willing to trade...only issue is the 1000 mile distance and the weight of all the parts. but maybe something can be arranged. let me know what all you need

keep in mind my t case is wishy washy...had a popping in it since i bought the Mounty and i decided to remove the shaft to eliminate the noise

5. jleehoyle567

jleehoyle567 New Member

City, State:
    LENOIR, NC
    2003 MOUNTAINEER
    also mine is a 4.6 not 4.0

We Support Our Troops!