1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cool stuff to do with Ham radio.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by tmanson, September 27, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. tmanson

tmanson Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Minnneapolis, MN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 5.0L XLT
      APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) is a cool application of Ham radio. Check and see where I am.

http://map.findu.com/KC0HTA-3

Ray Please add me to the roster.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      kinda like gps if they are using the radio.... thats the same way the FCC tracks violaters of the ham and cb bands

4. tmanson

tmanson Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Minnneapolis, MN
      2001 5.0L XLT
      I plug my GPS into my ham radio and the radio transmits my location every few minutes when the key is on. Locally there are ham radios that receive my position and upload it to the internet so anyone on the net can see where I am. The radio in my Explorer will also give me a heading and distance of received positions so I know where my friends are when we are out in the woods. A few days ago I left my Explorer at a shop to have it aligned. I logged on the internet at work and could see that my vehicle was going down the interstate at 80 MPH. When I went to pick it up I asked the mechanic how my Explorer handled at 80.

5. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Dana Point, CA
      '93 XLT
      Hey tmanson,

See you are from MSP. Do you happen to know or know of an old buddy of mine who lives in Eden Prarie: Mike, WA1GWE ?

6. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      What lame excuse did he give you?

7. tmanson

tmanson Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Minnneapolis, MN
      2001 5.0L XLT
      Ray I do not know Mike, WA1GWE. I do not use the radio much arround town. I basicly got the ham license for when my buddies and I are out in the woods. Using a CB radio sucks, comparred to a Ham Radio. The APRS system logs alot more air time than I do.

The mechainc never offerd any excuse, he just said "how'd you know". I showed him the position reporting system and the web site with the X's current position. I bet they will be leary of any vehicle with an extra antenna from now on.

8. Kinnish

Kinnish Active Member

City, State:
      Des Moines, Iowa
      98XLT "THE GENERAL"
      Can you post the equipment you are using. I'm really interested in this kinda stuff. Also do you know anything about using Packet Radio setups for relaying interenet connections of radios ....I need somethin other than my cell phone and an alwayz on connection for my car-puter. ....Nice work on the GPS project.

PS: WHat is involved in HAM RADIO licenses.?

9. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Dana Point, CA
      '93 XLT
      Ham Radio

Kinnish,

Check out the thread "How hard is the test for some answers.

tmanson, well if you do run iunto him OTA, say hi for me. I'll find out what 2 meter machine he hangs on...I know it's one over near the river in E.P. 146.80, I think,,,, We QSO on 20 Meters now and again.

Also, I want to get into APRS. I lack a laptop though. Have the radios with data jacks, a GPS, A couple of Kantronics KPC 3 TNC's, just no laptop to monitor. I assume you do run a laptop in your EX. Do you have any pics of your set up?

10. tmanson

tmanson Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Minnneapolis, MN
      2001 5.0L XLT
      Ray you have given me a reason to turn on the radio, I am sure there is dust on the knobs. I will listen for WA1GWE and say hi for you if I hear him.

I am using a Kenwood TH-D7A hand held radio hooked up to a 35-watt amplifier. This radio has the TNC (Ham talk for modem) built in. I have not laptop in the X. There are other 50-watt mobile radios that have the TNC built in also, then you would not need the amplifier. The GPS is a Lawrence GlobalMap 100. Any GPS's that has a serial terminal will work. At home I have a Radio Shack radio and a separate Timewave PK-96 TNC that plugs into the speaker and mic ports. The TNC is hooked to a computer so I can overlay positions on a map. I do not know about the KPC-3, but the PK-96 will take the GPS position data and transmit that without a laptop for mobile operation. However without a laptop you would not be able to tell where others are. My Kenwood radio will show me the distance and heading of received stations (KC0HTA is 10 miles SW). The radio will allow a laptop to be plugged in and the mapping software used. I use WinAPRS for software on the laptop. When using a laptop for APRS, you usually have to build a circuit that switches the serial port from the GPS to the TNC, unless the laptop has two serial ports. I have had the laptop mobile, but in Minnesota it doesn’t like the winters. I will take some pictures and try to post them soon.

The technician class Ham license is quite easy to get, basically you get the book at Radio Shack, or they are on the net, that has all the questions and answers. Read the book and take the test.

There is the ability to do packet over TCP/IP. Once you have a ham license you can contact you're local coordinator and get an IP address. Ham radio has there own set of IP addresses and you can get one FREE. I looked into this over a year ago and most software that converted packet (AX.25) to TCP/IP was Linux based. There was a program for Windows, but it was by someone overseas so it was not in English. I did a quick search of “AX.25 over TCP/IP” and their seams to be more software out there. I do not know youre mobile application, but the speed is very limited. Packet radio runs on 2400 and 9600 baud. When I used my Sprint phone mobile the connection was like 26K. I have seen a computer surfing the web using packet radio at 9600 baud. You could imagine surfing the web 6 times slower than dial up, SLOOOOOOOOOOW. I don’t know what kind of coverage is available, you would have to see how many Ham radio internet gates are in your area. I suppose you could set up a station at home and connect through that. If I haven’t discouraged you yet, I would bet you could find someone local that knew a lot more then me. And finally there is always a rule that Ham radio is used for non-business stuff.

11. tmanson

tmanson Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Minnneapolis, MN
      2001 5.0L XLT
      Here is the APRS setup. The Kenwood TH-D7A and the GPS. They sit in the console. There is a 35-watt amplifier under the drivers seat. There is a remote antenna on the dash.
      [​IMG]

This is a screen shot from the radio of someone’s position.
      [​IMG]

Here is the 2-meter communication radio.
      [​IMG]