Coolant change fluid type | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant change fluid type

Salty Dalt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I am going to replace the coolant on our 2002 B2300. I have no problem paying for the factory OEM fluid. The fluid appears to be original. I looked in the owner's manual for the type, called Mazda to see if they have it, and they said they do not make that anymore, but have an orange replacement. There is a sticker on the resevoir that shows to only use green coolant, and specifically not to use orange coolant. I am also considering just using Motorcraft coolant if the cooling system is identical to that of a 2.3L 4 cylinder 2002 Ranger. Anybody else run into this issue? Solutions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

. There is a sticker on the resevoir that shows to only use green coolant, and specifically not to use orange coolant.
Then use the good ole green
Dont forget to flush the system

I bought prestone from Wal-Mart :D on sale
It's Lt green/yellow works great even fine for shoot a while now

I am going to replace the coolant on our 2002 B2300...I am also considering just using Motorcraft coolant if the cooling system is identical to that of a 2.3L 4 cylinder 2002 Ranger. Anybody else run into this issue? Solutions?
Yes, it IS identical, the Mazda is just a Ranger with a few exterior cosmetic differences.

I have been using Prestone on my 2000 Ford Ranger for over 10 years now. I did a 60/40 (Prestone/water) mix with distilled water. You have to buy the "concentrated" bottle. I was not aware of the different coolant starting in mid 2002 as reported above. If you can find the Motorcraft version for you truck, you could go with that as well.

Back