Coolant flush need help 95 OHV | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant flush need help 95 OHV

Reaction score
City, State
South Shore Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4X4 loaded
I need to replace my thermostat so I figured I would flush my coolant since its been to long.

I bought new coolant, Prestone super flush and prestone flush kit adapter.

--->I do not understand where Prestone wants me to attach the little TEE that comes with the kit. I searched the forum but kept getting sent back to the same three pages. At first I thought it was the upper intake hose but from what I see that hose is well over an inch big and the TEEs in the kit are much too small.

If anyone has pictures or a diagram that would be awesome.

Its a 1995 OHV Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to replace my thermostat so I figured I would flush my coolant since its been to long.

I bought new coolant, Prestone super flush and prestone flush kit adapter.

--->I do not understand where Prestone wants me to attach the little TEE that comes with the kit. I searched the forum but kept getting sent back to the same three pages. At first I thought it was the upper intake hose but from what I see that hose is well over an inch big and the TEEs in the kit are much too small.

If anyone has pictures or a diagram that would be awesome.

Its a 1995 OHV Explorer.

Sorry if this is a retarded question, but is their aluminum in the cooling system? If so, CLR destroys aluminum...

The small tee should be installed in the heater core lines. Make sure when you flush the system, that you have the heater on Max heat. You want the heater core flushed too.

Yes you are correct, there is a lot of aluminum in the rad, water pump, intake manifold, to name a few. I would suggest sticking with the super flush kit.

Sorry if this is a retarded question, but is their aluminum in the cooling system? If so, CLR destroys aluminum...

Anything that will get the cooling system clean will destroy aluminum. Its acid.... Thats why you dont leave it in.

I have read online on a few other forums about CLR and apparently the company discourages use for coolant flushes, I bought some stuff recently for coolant flushes that says on the bottle, same for aluminum, I think it's probably safer to go with something like that as opposed to something where the manufacturer says not to use it.

Back