Coolant leak at back of engine captured video of it. Any one know what this is | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak at back of engine captured video of it. Any one know what this is

crzycowgirl

Reaction score
City, State
Falmouth, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
The leak is behind the engine between the fire wall and engine. Could not get to it to see it. SO i stuck my video camera and got a shot of it. Kind of crazy video but half way through it you will see a circle with a collection of water in it. This is where the stream poors out. Looks like there are thread holes for some kind of screws. Did somthing pop off any ideas. ANYONE!!!
Did somthing pop off. My husband can stick his finger in it. small holl inside where water is spraying out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't get my bearings in that video...

Do you know which engine your Explorer has? it could be the OHV V6 - SOHC V6 or V8.

4.0 leter sohc v6

it is between the firewall on engine. It is on the engine under the manifold. the engine is a 4.0 leter. Thank you so much for your reply!!! I will post better video!!

Leaking plastic lower thermostat housing is a very common failure on the 4.0 SOHC.

Use a flashlight and handheld mirror to thoroughly inspect, especially the rear side. GL

http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

Well the water is comming from the hole on the video, you can see the reflection, its not comming from anywhere but that whole on video. Not sure if you watched the whole video. I know it is terrible. But you can see it. The water sprays out of that whole. When you put your finger in it. there is a pin whole in it that you can stop the water. So that hole that you see is the thermostat housing? Looking closely you can see somthing belongs attached there. Do you think thermostat housing came off completly. or is that hole you see in the video some type of housing. Thank you for your replys

Back