Cooling system Help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon Marion

Reaction score
City, State
Tulalip
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
I have a 99 Explorer SOHC 4.0L and I just did the unbelievably fun job of replacing head gaskets, timing cassettes, and lining up torque converter to flex plate. And now it has come time to put back together someone else's dismantling job mind you of the heater and cooling lines, so long story short I'm looking for a diagram or if anyone has pics or pretty much anything at this point on how to put the hoses in the correct spot and reassemble it correctly. If you can help me asap I'd be forever in your debt (not literally for those confused ones out there). Thanks for your time..

Aren't the coolant lines pre-bent so there's really only one way they could go and fit? I may not be understanding what you need.

The hoses going to the heater core, the one further to the passenger side where it goes through the firewall connects to the coolant port closer to the front of the vehicle, but frankly I'm not sure if it matters if they both reach to either location. The upper radiator hose on the radiator top passenger side, just goes back towards the firewall with a right turn to the engine port, under the air intake snorkel and behind the alternator.

Well on my 2000 4.0 sohc with a complicated t-stat housing (expensive and sensors are more integrated than having retaining clip), there were many hoses and tubes that truly comprised the cooling system. It sounds like the system and maybe some of the top half of motor and components had been taken off prior to you obtaining the vehicle, right?

Do you have rear air conditioning and heat? That is a core in the rear quarter panel?

Well I would say, have you searched at ford parts for some diagrams?

i can't look anything up at this time on that site since I am on my iPad.

Check out '2000StreetRod's Helpful threads for the 2nd Gen Explorer' in the link below. They're all loaded with either pictures or diagrams and you should be able to find what you need there.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263665

There's a link to this in the useful threads sticky on top of this page.

Back