Corroded Battery Terminal / Cable | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a an OEM Motorcraft battery. Must of missed the QC step

Washing the ex yesterday I lifted the hood and wiped. While there I checked mine. Looks fine. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry you went thru your dilemma.

Seems fixed. Part arrived today. Ford quoted $350, got it from parts.com for $161. Was sent from Sunrise Ford in Fontana. JMR061 says you can buy only the terminal as of Jan 2015. Here's the before and after picture. OOPS, can't figure out how to create and album. A tip is welcome. BTW, I replaced the battery too. 4 years old.

Seems fixed. Part arrived today. Ford quoted $350, got it from parts.com for $161. Was sent from Sunrise Ford in Fontana. JMR061 says you can buy only the terminal as of Jan 2015. Here's the before and after picture. OOPS, can't figure out how to create and album. A tip is welcome. BTW, I replaced the battery too. 4 years old.
IMG_7039.JPG

My prior 97 Explorer had a ECM software bug. One day the battery cable cracked. While stopped with my foot lightly on the brake the engine would rev up to 2,000 rpm. This happened multiple times on the drive home till I figured out what happened in a parking lot. Evidently the ECM would think the car was just being started and open the idle control valve fully open. Try explaining that to a cop after rear ending at a light. Battery connections can be more than just an annoyance.

Has anyone ever experienced the pain of trying to replace only the clamp inside the fuse block/positive terminal junction box? I'm in the process of it. Battery corroded horribly so I took all apart and cleaned plus replaced with new battery. The metal ring inside that clamps on positive post is damaged now and won't tighten. Looking for temporary solution until part gets here in 2 days.
search

I'm having the same issue I have a 2013 Explorer this is the second time this has happened in two years the battery has corroded at the point it ruin the cables and had both battery and the cables had to be replaced. Battery corroded over the weekend cleaned it off having a problem with that same part. Ford needs to fix these issues it should not be happening

I'm having the same issue I have a 2013 Explorer this is the second time this has happened in two years the battery has corroded at the point it ruin the cables and had both battery and the cables had to be replaced. Battery corroded over the weekend cleaned it off having a problem with that same part. Ford needs to fix these issues it should not be happening
This does not seem to be a common problem as this thread was started September 2015 and you are only the 3rd member to post about the problem in the 7 years that the 5th generation Explorer has been out. If it is corroding as quickly as you say I would guess that there is another issue.

Peter

. Twice in two years is too too many times for me. Lol. According to Ford complaints they only had 42 issues with the 2013 Ford Explorer with leaking battery / corrosion issues. I would say there's definitely another issue going on.

I experience the same problem in 2015. Dealer replaced my battery for free but did not replaced the partially corroded positive terminal. Now, there seems to be a charging issue because of a loose positive terminal and as stated above the assembly for the positive terminal is $300++

By the way, the stock battery was an AC Delco.

. Twice in two years is too too many times for me. Lol. According to Ford complaints they only had 42 issues with the 2013 Ford Explorer with leaking battery / corrosion issues. I would say there's definitely another issue going on.

I think there is a quality issue here on the battery and not necessarily on the battery terminal cable.

Anyone found a replacement terminal instead of the assembly?

I think there is a quality issue here on the battery and not necessarily on the battery terminal cable.

Anyone found a replacement terminal instead of the assembly?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As requested in the registration, please add the trim level of the Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be very helpful info to have at times.
Thanks.

Peter

Well add another user with this issue. Went and got my battery replaced tonight and the positive terminal was so corroded the "bottom" ring is completely gone. DB5Z-14300-A is a bit cheaper now (around $200) but I'd rather just replace the clamp if possible.

DA8Z-14526-A

SSM 44895 - 2011-2015 Explorer, 2013-2015 Taurus and MKS Vehicles - Battery Junction Box
For 2011-2015 Explorer, 2013-2015 Taurus and MKS vehicles the battery junction box (circuit breaker assembly) is now available as a lower level service part. It is no longer necessary to order the complete battery cable assembly (14300). Use part number DA8Z-14526-A (Circuit Breaker Assembly). Refer to Workshop Manualsection 414-01 for proper battery cable torque

DA8Z-14526-A

SSM 44895 - 2011-2015 Explorer, 2013-2015 Taurus and MKS Vehicles - Battery Junction Box
For 2011-2015 Explorer, 2013-2015 Taurus and MKS vehicles the battery junction box (circuit breaker assembly) is now available as a lower level service part. It is no longer necessary to order the complete battery cable assembly (14300). Use part number DA8Z-14526-A (Circuit Breaker Assembly). Refer to Workshop Manualsection 414-01 for proper battery cable torque

Damn, you're too quick! I just found it on another thread, thanks for the reply though!!
$26.11 on Amazon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know what causes this? I noticed a few threads where several people had to replace very corroded positive terminals and I just ordered a replacement for mine. It seems to accumulate a green substance that covers the entire terminal. I have been cleaning it off with baking soda. I removed the terminal but I do not see any leaking from the battery. Should I just replace the battery anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Back