Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Corroded spark plug

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by fjc2, October 8, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. fjc2

fjc2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 Explorer Sport
      I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with a little over 29000 miles on it. I'm preparing to put a tune on it, so decided to swap the factory installed plugs with new ones that I carefully gapped.

In removing the plugs, the middle rear one came out looking quite corroded, while all the rest looked to be in great shape. Here's a picture:
      IMG_3567.JPG

What would cause this? Bad grommet on the top of the coil pack? I inspected and cleaned them all and didn't notice any tearing or such. Also didn't notice any water coming out when I shot some compressed air into that well prior to removing the plug.

Thoughts?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ptf18

ptf18 Elite Explorer

2002 Sport Trac
      Have you (or previous owner if....) let the vehicle sit for any left of time? If so, perhaps water pooled around the plug (driving thru rain??) and the engine never got hot enough to flash off the water.

I've seen this before.

4. fjc2

fjc2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      MI
      2014 Explorer Sport
      I'm the original owner. Explorer is garaged every night, but yes I drive through plenty of rain, slush, snow in an area that uses a lot of road salt (Michigan).