Cost and advice on transmission rebuild.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cost and advice on transmission rebuild..

rcfast

Reaction score
City, State
fresno
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Xlt
Ok i'm looking for a little advice. I'm trying to help a friend out who has a 1998 ford explorer with the 4.0. I'm not sure if its the ohc or not. Anyways the explorer was takin to a nearby shop where the quote was 3300 for a new transmission including installation. I started doing some research and found it's the 4r55e that is in there (correct?). Anyways from what i see the price for a new one shouldn't exceed 1500 with a converter. Am i correct on this? The main reason im posting is to get what the average cost should be for a rebuild and for a new transmission complete. I will probably have the transmission takin somewhere but will do the removal and install myself. So if anyone can give me some advice on what i should do for repair of this thing it would be appreciated (such as online places to go, etc etc). I belive its 2wd but not 100% on that one.

Thanks in advance

We get remanufactured (basically brand new) trannys from Jasper, price varies, but I would say a Jasper Trans w/ Warranty would be around 1800 and then installation with Mercron IV fluid. So the 3-grand range doesn't exactly seem unreasonable; if it's for a new or remanufactured. Now, if it's rebuilt it should only be about 700 bucks for the trans, because it's just fixing the problem and letting it go.

-Drew

and it would be the 5R55E, not the 4R55

Back