Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cost to fix rear diff whine

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by cgchoate, September 15, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. cgchoate

cgchoate New Member

City, State:
      Charlotte, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 XLT
      Has anyone had any luck getting the rear diff whine fixed for less than $1200? I had a wheel bearing replaced, that didn't work. Also, put the synthetic oil in and that didn't work. Any other ideas?

I can live with it if it costs $1200 for the ring & pinion, but wasn't sure if there were specialty shops that could do it for less.

2003 explorer xlt v6, 4wd

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Ford Explorer
      For not more than $1.2k , you should be able to rebuild both axles which would include new ring and pinion gears and a master install kit. So I figure that maybe $700-$800 for a complete rebuild of one axle. Whining and clunking can be attributed to a loose pinion, which by itself shouldnt be as expensive as a complete rebuild unless the pinion gears are damaged. Call some speed shops, they usually specialize in drivetrain (engine, trans, axles) so setting up ring and pinions should be right up their alley.