• Register Today It's free!

could this be true??

plrs x45

Reaction score
City, State
Joliet, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt V8
Hello to all. I was 2 min away from buying a 2003 Mounty with 33k for 17,400 (loaded) when I noticed the class II hitch. I asked about how much it would cost for them to put the class III on. He replied that the hitch was welded on and that they make hitches that bolt under that one. I have seen this before on some X's but I thought people were just lazy. Is this true? I have turned this offer down and will go with the X (soon I hope). Thank you all in advance.

(Let me also say that I always get a lot of help from this site and would recommend this site to anyone)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are holes in the frame to bolt the hitch to, but I suppose welding would be stronger. Bolt a reciever hitch under a reciever hitch?? Sounds to me like you wouldn't be able to go over a speed bump without bottoming it out.

What do you tow that you need the class III?

Bolting is better than welding.

class 3 is pretty much the standard for towing.... class 2 wont allow much more than a jetski on a trailer....

class 2 came stock on the explroers bumpers..... clas 3 is bolted to the frame and do hang below the rear bumper... but not much... and its worth it to have it their as well
4019plateframe.jpg
normally there would be a small plate right above the receiver hole, but i didnt like the way it looked so i removed it... that plate houses a hole to instal a hitch ball onto....

Jim, it is a totally different design in third Gens, it is integrated into the bumper, so putting a Class III underneath leaves two square tubes. That would look extremley lame!

Judging from his signature line, I'd say he tows an Ebbtide powerboat. Defenitely class III stuff.

Yeah, I thought the same about both hitches being there were very lame. I just have to have one with a class III already there. My boat is a 21.5ft Ebbtide weighing about 3800 lbs. Thanks for all the replies.

ah ok... i know what hes talking about now... that is goofy then...... is their anyway to unintegrate it?

old mechanic said:
Bolting is better than welding.

is tht true as a bolt could easily snap but also a weld could break..

But a proper weld would melt and combine the 2 metals into one correct???
if that is the case and it is done correctly how coud one bolt be stronger than a weld???
I am not a welder nor do I play one in life I welded a few times in high school nothing that could hold more than a few pounds lol

It does bolt on. Three bolts per side. Looks like the toughest thing would be getting the bumper cover off!

Attachments

• MVC-766F.JPG
    MVC-766F.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 171
  • MVC-767F.JPG
    MVC-767F.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 171

davidmmm69 said:
is tht true as a bolt could easily snap but also a weld could break..

But a proper weld would melt and combine the 2 metals into one correct???
if that is the case and it is done correctly how coud one bolt be stronger than a weld???
I am not a welder nor do I play one in life I welded a few times in high school nothing that could hold more than a few pounds lol

When metal is heated up, it looses strength....That is the same principle on how you forge a sword, you heat it up until it can be bent and hammered....

Also the same reason the WTC towers failed.

A grade 8 bolt is very strong. Most of the trails require bolted on tow hooks instead of welded ones.

Back