• Register Today It's free!

Coyote engine swap

GoLoadGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Ford Explorer Sport
I’ve been a gear head all my life and frankly I’m getting bored. It seems like we have so many performance SUVs on the market and Ford is grossly misrepresented.

I currently have a ‘16 sport and I was looking for information on swapping out the engine for a modular coyote engine. Has anyone done this? I’ve done a few modular engine swaps in the past most recent / 88 Notch with a terminator engine/ and the process was rather easy since it was old tech.

Any insight would be helpful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not familiar with this 'swap' but you can say goodbye to the engine and probably powertrain warranty and maybe more. Just something to keep in mind.

Peter

I don't think a Coyote will fit in the engine compartment. Then you have trans problems. You'd have to cut in a trans tunnel and probably cut out most of the firewall also...

Using the current gen explorer Car chassis probably isn't a good choice. There is a guy who did pull it off with a second gen sport trac, which is the same as the previous gen explorer. quite the process. There is a link at the start of the sport trac second gen home.
My 5.0 Coyote Adrenalin engine swap (Plan B)

I’ve been a gear head all my life and frankly I’m getting bored. It seems like we have so many performance SUVs on the market and Ford is grossly misrepresented.

I currently have a ‘16 sport and I was looking for information on swapping out the engine for a modular coyote engine. Has anyone done this? I’ve done a few modular engine swaps in the past most recent / 88 Notch with a terminator engine/ and the process was rather easy since it was old tech.

Any insight would be helpful
What about larger upgraded turbos and methanol injection from Livernois instead?

I agree with above a good tune, down pipes, plugs ,t stat , map sensor and either drop in filter or intake can make that thing pretty damn fast,

Just contact Roush and get a built-up 3.5l Ecoboost. You'll hit 500-550+hp without issue.

Back