Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cracked Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by fixt, June 21, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. fixt

fixt Active Member

City, State:
    North Carolina
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 5.0L XLT AWD
    I had a slight squeal from the rear so I decided its time to replace all the brake pads.
    On the front the outer pads were cracked and one of the rear (don't remember which) was cracked.
    I went back with Wagoner Thermo Quiet semi metallic on all wheels, got rid of the squeak from the wear indicator. Although the squeak was worn down considerably more than the opposite pad, so I possibly have a dragging caliper. Can't replace calipers right now as I'm trying to buy a Bridgeport mill and feeding a pet Clausing lathe as well.

This has left me scratching my head over what caused them to crack. Did they get hot then run through some water or just what causes this? The rotors are true, there's no vibration at all when applying brakes.
    I don't know the manufacturer of the old pads

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. pjtoledo

pjtoledo Member

City, State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Ranger
    plain 'ol heat, lots of it.
    hard stops, like from70+ on expressway exit ramps would be my guess.
    my 2000 Ranger 4x4 cracks the front pads, the 2005 2wd does not. identical brakes on each.