Cracked D Pillar | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracked D Pillar

Mine haven't progressed any further. I'm leaving it for now. Appears in previous posts that you need to remove the quarter panel glass to remove the plastic trim which seems to be a pain in the ass. If you look behind the glass you can see a screw head which seems like where the crack starts. My guess is the D pillar flexes too much under the weight of the rear hatch when it's open and the screw head is the stress riser causing the trim to crack. Love my Explorer, hate the BS quality issues
I wonder if age has anything to do with this issue. Black plastic panels, hot sun, UV rays, plastic deteriorating, becoming more brittle?
:dunno:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Part BB5Z78290A60AA

I cracked this while changing my lift-gate struts. With the hatch open, it looks like this part is held in place by rivets. Does anyone have any experience changing this part and/or are there any other rivets/screws holding this in place?

IMG_20180331_164055.jpg

Yep, that's what it looks like. I may try to find a good one in a junk-yard (and get some practice drilling the rivets out). Thanks Peter!

Randy

Update us on how this goes, mine are cracked on both sides from before I bought it and I would like to see how difficult they are to replace.

For now, I won't be replacing them. I'm going to use a little glue to hold the peices together and sand a little, then put on a gloss black vinly over it. Once I get that done (no promises on a timeline), I'll will update the post.

Welcome to the change the struts club. I did the same thing should have supported the hatch with a 2x4. It came crashing down and broke one side and narrowly missed my head. Stupid mistake, stupid expensive mistake. Part at dealer 100.00 , dealer subs the install out as the rear side window has to be removed to install the part. I though it was a quick remove the 3 rivits and pop a new one in, NOT... $100.00 for the dealer and $150.00 for the window man. Lesson learned, the cheap becomes expensive. I should of had the dealer install the struts.

Hey TheRandis, you must have done the same thing, the crack looks identical to the one I did. Looks like you scratched your rear window as well. That rear hatch is friggin heavy isn't it????

I found a cracked D pillar trim on my new-used '16 Explorer. Is this a common problem with the Explorers like it is on other Fords like the Flex?
Dealer fix under warranty or is there a DIY solution?

Welcome to the Forum 66 Galaxie.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. Although I haven't read the entire thread, I did see a post that mentioned the window has to come out to replace that item.

Peter

Thanks Peter. When I tried searching earlier I found no results. Must be user or iPhone error on my end. ;-)

I actually read this and checked my 2016. Sure enough mine are cracked too. :mad2:

I'm going to leave it for now and not worry about it.

Welcome to the Forum Tom. :wave:

Peter

Has anyone seen a fix other than taking it to a Body Shop or Dealer? Thx
I don't think there is a fix. If it cracked once, it will likely crack again as stress cracks tend to reappear no matter how many times you replace the part. Not sure the newer design with the bumps will fit, but those may not crack due to the change in the molding shape. I have chosen to just ignore the cracks in mine. It is purely cosmetic, not resulting from damage of any kind, that haven't propagated any, and the cost to replace them plus making sure the windows are resealed properly so that they don't leak is just not worth it in my book.

Thanks. Unfortunately, my damage was from when the Wife backed the car down the driveway and hit a low branch. Have black duct tape covering the hole. Looks like a LOT of interior trim removal to get to the bolts for the window removal. Wonder if scoring the replacement pillar piece to remove the hole section and gluing down would work as a replaacement?

My 2016 Explorer Sport has developed identical fractures in the plastic trim molding for both rear side windows in general area where the hydraulic lift mechanism attaches to the body. What might cause such an issue. Have not yet found a TSB addressing this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rear drivers side D pillar has a small crack in it . Has anyone else experienced this on their explorer? The rear window does it have to be removed for it to be replaced?
i have same issue, heavy rain causes a leak through the 3rd row seat seat belt which triggers a sensor alert for the airbag. my mechanic said it was a seat belt issue, I think the leak is causing the sensor alert, who replaces these D Pillars.

Back