Cracked Radiator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bp06explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Eddie Bauer
'06 EB Explorer - 4.0L V6 - 37.8K miles (1800 miles out of warranty)

At 37,800 miles I notice a small pool of coolant under the driver side of the radiator. I take it to the local dealer and they inform me (after $75 diagnostic fee to pressurize the radiator) that it is a loose hose clamp and tell me that they have tightened it up and I'm good to go. However, after a few days I notice it again. Return it to the dealer and now they tell me it's a cracked radiator. Svc tech says it will be around $630 to replace it. After searching the internet, I see this appears to be a common problem. My question is, has anyone else noticed this issue and if so, have you heard anything about a potential recall? I contacted Ford customer service and they arranged a minor disount for the repairs at my dealer, but it is a negligible amount. It's still gonna be quite a bit of change out of pocket for what appears to be a faulty part. C'mon ... a radiator shouldn't be going out at 38K miles. I also submitted a complaint with Office of Defects Investigation at the NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/). There were a couple other complaints on there already.

-brandon

To answer my own question ... there is already a thread concerning this here. Sorry for the new thread ....

-Brandon

Back