• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Sunroof / Moon roof

Drako99

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
So I was cleaning my '13 Explorer XLT and noticed along the trim of the sunroof glass chunks missing and circular chips. Front edge, sides AND back edges.

Not only on the part of glass that moves but ALSO the longer/bigger stationary glass.

Wondering if anyone else has this issue... take a close look, it was easy to miss (As I missed it on the day I bought it used off the lot)

Thankfully I'm still under warranty and they have agreed to replace / fix it.

20140905_140916_zps204b964e.jpg
20140905_140944_zps6d0816e6.jpg

20140905_140940_zps6c6c5e1c.jpg
20140905_140927_zps1eca8f6a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are the first that I've ever seen like this. Heck, you are the first that I've ever seen on any of the forums that I've been on in the past 10 years. Crazy that it's just not one piece but several on more then one side of the moonroof.

Glad they are replacing it for you.

As blwnsmoke posted, I don't recall any issues with the glass portions of the moonroof. It is strange that some of the breaks are in the pattern that they are. Wierd.:scratch:

Peter

I am just throwing it out there but maybe a tool that is used to hold glass in place while it is being replaced was used to replace your roof. I don't know what else would explain that .

Those are bizarre semi circle fractures. Are you sure its still the OEM glass originally installed in the vehicle? Does it have the OEM stamp?

Your top right and bottom left picture show some type of scratches or abrasion. Any idea where that came from? Related?

So I was cleaning my '13 Explorer XLT and noticed along the trim of the sunroof glass chunks missing and circular chips. Front edge, sides AND back edges.

Not only on the part of glass that moves but ALSO the longer/bigger stationary glass.

Wondering if anyone else has this issue... take a close look, it was easy to miss (As I missed it on the day I bought it used off the lot)

Thankfully I'm still under warranty and they have agreed to replace / fix it. ...

I'm glad to hear that this is being taken care of, Drako99. I looked into your case and see that you have a call from the regional customer service manager scheduled for today. Please let me know if you need anything moving forward; you know where to find me! :)

Have a great day!

Brittany

Your top right and bottom left picture show some type of scratches or abrasion. Any idea where that came from? Related?

No idea and dont believe it to be related

Back