Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Craftsman VS "PRO" Tools (Snap On, Matco, etc)

Discussion in 'Tools and Garage' started by Gabe96Explorer, November 26, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Gabe96Explorer

Gabe96Explorer Active Member

City, State:
    DIRTAY NEW JERSAY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    96 Explorer 4x4 Sport
    I for one, have rarely used snap on drivers and tools, but when I do, they feel good in the hands.

I recently bought Craftsman tools, specifically the 255 piece kit.

I don't foresee myself having to buy all Snap On tools since I don't do any kind of professional wrenching, just on my own truck, on my own time, so Craftsman I am sure will do just fine.

SO, what do you all think?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    I say the Craftsman will do just fine. The nice thing is if there is an issue with something, you just head to your local Sears and swap it out! :thumbsup:

4. ghosttrain2

ghosttrain2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnemucca,NV
    1994 XLT
    IMO-As long as the tools are warrantied,brand shouldn't matter. As a mechanic for 35 years, I have Snap-on,Mac, Matco,Craftsman, Vulcan,Williams, and others. With the "professional " tools, you are paying for the name and the convenience of the dealer coming by every week. I still buy specialty tools from them, but not hand tools anymore.

5. snoranger

snoranger Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Jackson, NJ
    94 limited on 35's
    I own mostly Snap-on.
    I find that Snap-on ratchets are worth the extra money. They still brake, just not as often. The Snap-on dual pawl ratchets are leaps and bounds above anything Craftsman makes.
    Snap-on flank drive wrenches and sockets will remove nuts and bolts that a Craftsman will just slip on.
    Craftsman prybars bend easier then Snap-on.

For your normal work, Craftsman are fine. My tools take a serious beating everyday (I work on forklifts and heavy equipment), Craftsman just wasnt up to the task.

6. rickybobby

rickybobby Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Battle Creek, mi
    '97 XLT
    i have noticed better quality from snap-on, but the other tool trucks sell crap tools these days, no better than craftsman

7. Gabe96Explorer

City, State:
    DIRTAY NEW JERSAY
    96 Explorer 4x4 Sport
    I personally do like the feel of Snap-On Ratchet Drivers, specifically the Swivel Head but I agree that the Sears & Craftsman Guarantee can't be beat for non-professionals such as myself.

8. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
    Only Snap-On tool that I own is a click type 3/8" torque wrench.
    Expensive and worth every penny. Has paid for itself many times.
    All the other brands I've used had accuracy and reliability issues.

9. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Red Bluff, Ca
    1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
    The Craftsman 3/8" ratchets I've received in the last few sockets sets have absolutely sucked. They bind up, they switch directions on their own, etc. I bought the Craftsman Professional polished 3/8" ratchet and its a world of difference. Craftsman is still the way to go though.

10. Gabe96Explorer

City, State:
    DIRTAY NEW JERSAY
    96 Explorer 4x4 Sport
    These look solid... when the craftsman ratchets take a dump, I am going to get a set of all three.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/allr...8000P&dataBrand=craftsman&dataInventory=sears

11. Gabe96Explorer

City, State:
    DIRTAY NEW JERSAY
    96 Explorer 4x4 Sport
    Nothing else eh?

12. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    There are a lot of different brands such as Sunex & S-K which make quality tools. Craftsman's warranty & availability put them on the top of the list. Auto parts stores sell brands like Great Neck, Duralast, and OEM for the do it yourselfer. Some of their products have been used for many years without any issues. Craftsman is a balance between the do it yourselfer & professional. Every brand has something that is low quality, so it's hard to make a judgement based on the name brand alone. Even Harbor Freight has some good quality products.

13. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    When I swapped a Craftsman socket driver recently, the guy mentioned that a lot of their ratchets have gone to plastic internals.

14. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Brockton, MA
    '93 XLT 4x4
    :thumbsup: I agree. As a shade tree mechanic I primarily buy Craftsman tools as they meet my weekend needs. If a tool brakes I can get it replaced at my local store. I wouldn't hesitate to buy other warranted tools Husky (Home Depot), Cobalt (Lowes) for the same reason. Now if I were wrenching every day (where time is money) then I would consider high end tools.

15. reapereviltwin

reapereviltwin Keep on wheelin John Rock Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Glen Rock, Pa
    '92 Explorer
    Another option is Husky handtools from HD and Kolbalt from Lowe's. I have a mixture mostly of them. There are a lot of options for you to look at, heck even the stanley tools from wallyworld can do if for light work.
    If your looking at kits, be sure to read the contents carefully, kits always seem to leave out one size you are sure to need.

was too slow, DeRocha beat me to the HD and Lowe's

16. Gabe96Explorer

City, State:
    DIRTAY NEW JERSAY
    96 Explorer 4x4 Sport
    That wouldn't be possible. The internal is simply a metal cog on a bearing. plastic wouldn't last more than a turn.

17. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    That's what I thought, I think he was meaning the selector and directional or something... I do know that the Pro series are a lot more comfortable to hold than the regular ratchets.

The thin profile ratchets also have metal selectors, etc- these are nice pieces... CLICK

I know that I won't accept the ratchets from the rebuild bin, I carry up a new tool to the counter with the broken one.
    You can also get the rebuild kits and do it yourself, since you can replace everything inside whereas the rebuilt ratchets are simply using new parts of only what was broken, and new combines with old parts don't always work so well.

18. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    outside shovelling snow
    ................ 96 XLT ™
    My main socket set, deep sockets, main wrenches, main adjustable wrenches, are all Craftsman. Most of it bought on sale. Back when I started building my tool collection, Craftsman was one of the top choices, for the "non-professional". Snap-On, Matco, Cornwell, or any of the other "professional" brands, were out of my price range by far. Plus, I always thought that those were not for sale to the general public, and they had no warranty unless you were a business.

Most of my other tools are a medley of brands from flea markets, pawn shops, swap meets, and my Dad, from when he was in the National Guards. Lots of old school brands, some Japanese ones, SK, Armstrong, PROTO, Bonney, and others. I consider any of those to be better quality than Craftsman.

I think that Craftsman quality is going downhill in some areas, but is still a decent choice...

19. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    Agreed- it's still not bad, but the quality is declining as a whole minus a few still decent tools. You can't compare the workability of a 40 year old Craftsman ratchet to a new one, they don't feel the same. They just feel "cheaper" somehow.

20. YBCold

YBCold Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas NV
    91 ×∟┬
    i use harbor freight stuff. not bad for my applications. got some craftsman its good too. i would splurge on snap on for tools i know need to be of good quality like a double flaring tool

21. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    In general, I don't mind too much of Harbor Freight's stuff, or around here, MIT is big as well, same principle- cheap Chinese tools.

If it is a tool that will hurt someone if broken, like a breaker bar, prybar, etc., I usually don't cheap out on those. After nearly taking off half of my arm when a HF breaker bar handle let go, I won't trust them with everything. Well, that and the arbor that broke off a variable speed buffer and sailed with the pad 100 yards like a frisbee onto the highway... :D

The scene of the crime:

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited: November 30, 2011