Crank No Start - Stuck

the_target

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer, 4.0L SOHC
2002 Explorer cranks but won't start.
Had a fuel pump and new fuel filter put in 2 weeks ago and has been running great.

Backed it out of the garage to clean the windows and interior. When finished it wouldn't start to pull it back in.

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to test the schrader valve, however, the garage guy test of putting a small phillips scredriver into the valve gently do give a hearty "squirt" of fuel; so it seems fuel/pressure isn't the issue.

Could this be an issue with it only running for a few seconds while backing out and thus causing it not to start? (Rather confused and have to get to my grandfather's funeral tomorrow)

Thanks for any help in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Checked battery. It's strong
Tried started with gas pedal all the way to floor to clear potential flood, i.e. shut off injectors. Cranked for a solid 30 seconds twice.
Opened gas cap and replaced.
Closed everything and locked it. Unlocked in feeble attempt to make sure there is no theft system problem.

Unplugged spark plugs and replaced to ensure connection.
Checked throttle body for grime/blockage.
Gas tank is full.

Regarding Spark - Suggestion on the best way to test for spark? The ole 1970 Mustang method of holding a plug wire close to the plug to view the spark jump?

Will get one for testing and report back.
Also disconnected the battery during the dinner hour. Can't hurt.

Battery disconnection did nothing.
Got a spark tester and guess what....

No Spark

My cheap Actron OBDII scanner shows no codes.

Thanks DAT05.

Will check that in the morning light.
Also looking into:
Camshaft Position Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor

Resolution

Resolution:

I unplugged the Ignition Coil (that's my name for the part). Heard a "click" and plugged it back in. Truck fired up on first crank.

As a matter of affordable maintenance I will be replacing the Crankshaft Position sensor, the Ignition Coil, and perhaps the Camshaft Position Sensor since these are affordable and the truck is now more than a decade old and I'm not totally sure of the "root cause".

Replaced the ignition coil this morning. Runs like a champ!

Back