Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cranks but won't start-2000 Explorer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by U7362, May 22, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. U7362

U7362 New Member

City, State:
    Huntsville, AL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Explorer-4.0 SOHV
    Cranks but won't start-2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHV - 230,000 mi Engine replaced at 200,000 mi
    1. Replaced fuel filter
    2.Checked fuel Pressure. It is at 60+ PSI
    3. It rune when I use Starting Fluid or put gas on the air filter
    4. It stopped at work so I can't do much like pulling the upper manifold off.
    5. Prior to dying I could leave it for a period of time and then it would start up fine until I turned it off.(that is sometimes it would start again, other times I had to let it set for a day or two).
    6. Check Engine and ABS lights are on, but I can't move it to get the codes checked.
    7. I have read something about the Fuel damper or fuel pressure sending unit but I can't pull the upper manifold, and besides I am getting 64-64 PSI at the rail and I have reset the computer by removing the battery for a day ( just to put it into LIMP mode in case it had a bad code-same symptoms).
    8. if the injectors are shot, then all of them went at once, which is highly unlikely.
    9. I have also charged the battery and tried jumping it. It cranks good and fast-No battery/starter problems.

All I can think of right now is wondering if I can check the PCM to see if I am getting an injector pulse from it. Is there anyone that cam offer any suggestions?

- Stranded--

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Greenville, SC
    00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
    CKP sensor?

The PCM enables the fuel pump for a couple seconds when switching the ignition from Off to Run and continuously when it detects the crankshaft rotating via the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. Try cycling the ignition switch a few times between off and run before cranking the starter. If the engine starts and then quickly dies then it may be due to a nonfunctional CKP sensor. You might try cleaning the CKP sensor connector contacts by disconnecting /reconnecting the connector a few times.

On my 2000 the PCM disables the fuel injectors when an unrecognized key is used in the ignition. Does the THEFT indicator rapidly flash when the starter is cranked? Have you tried using a different ignition key?

4. U7362

U7362 New Member

City, State:
    Huntsville, AL
    2000 Explorer-4.0 SOHV
    Good point

5. U7362

U7362 New Member

City, State:
    Huntsville, AL
    2000 Explorer-4.0 SOHV
    Good point. I have switched the ignition on/off several times and it might have lost programming for the key I was using. I'll check the theft light this afternoon. Thanks for the help

6. U7362

U7362 New Member

City, State:
    Huntsville, AL
    2000 Explorer-4.0 SOHV
    Hot it YAY !!!

Thanks for all the help guys,
    I tracked the problem down to NO INJECTOR pulse. The problem I finally discovered was a bad electronics FOB on my key. I used a spare key and it started immediately. . Just a word of caution for me, in the future I need to check that Passive Theft light.
    The anti-theft works by disabling the injectors (at least on this model)- so a CRANK with no start MAY be caused by the ANTI-Theft system . . .

We Support Our Troops!