Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Crazy dealership

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by dman726749, December 3, 2008.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. dman726749

dman726749 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Greenwood Indiana
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    96 xlt
    Last week I traded my sploder in for a 06 f150.....dealer gave me 2k for my sploder...I about fell out of my chair I never expected so much....

it was a 96
    leaking tranny
    replaced the factory tcase with a 1354m so the lights in the dash flashed
    rustt out rockers
    lots of body damage from numerous badladns trips
    ball joins were shot
    33" xterains that were beyond bald (one actually had a bubble in the tread from a broken band)
    custom snorkle poking through the fender

I got currious what had become of my old truck...looked on their website, tehy are trying to sell it for 4995 :eek::confused:
    http://billestesford.vinmanagersites.com/AutoDetails2.aspx?ID=3155754

I feel sorry for anyone who pays that much for it

I love my new truck though 06F150 fx4 super crew :D

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season? Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    maybe they fixed all that stuff prior to sell?

4. dman726749

dman726749 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Greenwood Indiana
    96 xlt
    doubt it...maybe I should take it for a test drive......from the image it still has the explorer4x4 sticker on the side window....they did at least wash it though

5. bisjoe

bisjoe Active Member

City, State:
    Sammamish, WA
    They must have really wanted to sell that F150, super crews are not moving well these days. About two years ago I got $2,800 trade for my '96 with 120k miles and otherwise like-new condition. They didn't try to sell it, but auctioned it, and it ended up on a small lot on the cheap car row for $4,995.

6. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    Question is, how much did you pay for the '06? ;)

7. Brock94

Brock94 Active Member

City, State:
    Milford, CT
    1994 XLT
    Right, a lot of dealers will take part of the discount from sticker that they would give to a cash customer and apply it to trade in value. The strategy is to make you feel so good about your trade in value that you don't see that they should be giving you a larger overall discount and to make it harder for you to bargain over the price since the discount is buried in the trade in value.

I once had a trade in offer of $7,000 for an old Taurus I knew was worth about $5000 private party sale. I took the trade-in off the table and negotiated to a new truck price that showed they were actually valuing my Taurus at about $3200. In the end, I didn't do any better on the price paid for the truck itself, but I was able to sell the Taurus for $5200 two weeks later and pocket the extra $2000.

Here's what they do if you go to them with a trade in-- They put the following offer on a piece of paper in front of you:

$32,000 (Sticker Price)
    -$7,000 (Trade in)

Then they tell you something like "This is amazing, you're only going to have to pay $25,000 for this new truck!"

This puts you in the difficult position of trying to bargain them down from a $25,000 price when sticker is $32,000. The discount from sticker that you'd like to bargain about is buried within the trade-in, so you have no way to negotiate it.

If you negotiate without a trade in, things are simpler-- if they give you the same economic deal as above, it would be as follows:

$32,000 (Sticker price)
    -$3,800 (Discount)
    _________
    $28,200

So now you know what discount you're getting and can figure out if its a fair deal based on your research-- you're also arguing with them about real numbers.

So now, after doing the deal above, suppose you sell your old car for $5,200 private party in two or three weeks, here's how the overall numbers look:

$32,000 (Sticker price)
    -$3,800 (Discount)
    -$5,200 (Amount you sold your car for)

So in the overall deal you pay $2000 less. Now some people will say it's inconvenient to sell a used car private party, but $2000 should compensate for a lot of inconvenience for most people.

8. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    98 supercharged 347 sport
    a buddy of mine has a saying, "for every seat, there's a ass, and for every ass, there's a seat. it just takes some time for the right ass to come along". he's right!

9. 2-Stripe

2-Stripe Active Member

City, State:
    Anchorage ak
    2000 explorer xls
    I once had a dealer give me $2000 for a 91 Geo storm gsi (booked around $1000) but the engine had seized and there was "home made" flames on the sides with no electronics (stereo, sub, ect), no window knobs, I had cut out the rear bumper to make way for a new exhaust, torn seats, and over 200k miles.

Needless to say that actually bought it sight unseen, when they towed it in they gave me a call asking me about the condition and I told them that I had disclosed all of the flaws with the sales man (and I did) they wanted to change my bill and I refused, they where pissed to say the least.