Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Crossed water.... diff and bearing problems..

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Byrd91, September 19, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Byrd91

Byrd91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Penobscot, Maine
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '92 XLT
      We went wheeling the other day and I'm pretty sure I took on water through my hubs and/or my front diff breather tube. I justed checked my diff fluid today and when I pulled the plug fluid poured out, telling me it was too full, so obviously I need the change the diff fluid. Also I'm getting some squeaking from my front end, sounds like the hubs/bearings. My question is can I pump out the diff fluid, refill it, and the repack the bearings, or do I basically need to take the whole front end apart. This will be my first work of any type with inner workings of a differential, but would like to do the work myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Well if you got water in your front diff it;'s easy to tell. Drain the fluid and look at it, if it;'s thick and milky, you got water.

If you have water int he front diff you probablygot water inthe rear, tranny, t case as well. You will need to change all the fluids, besdides whats wrong with changing your fluids once in a while?I do mine every year because I am **** and I like to get a ton of miles for my $$$$..

Take the hubs off, soak them in ATF (turn them upside down and fill them with atf) click them in and out several times, the ATF will carry any trapped dirt out of there. I do this EVERYTIME i have my front wheels off. Makes for long lasting hubs, works for both auto and manual hubs but the auto's should just be thrown away if you ask me.

You can re-pack the wheel bearings, no problem there, it;s just that easy.

Good luck!

4. Broccoli1

Broccoli1 Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles CA
      Explorer '93 xlt
      Exactly Like 410 said.

5. Byrd91

Byrd91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Penobscot, Maine
      '92 XLT
      Ok, I think its just my front diff. I checked the tranny fluid and its fine, and my rear breather tube is a lot longer than my front, plus the one place I got stuck was just my front end completely under water. I'm going to do everything said, but whats the best way to change the front diff fluid, pump it out?

6. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      the best way is to pullthe center section off, it really doesnt take as long as you might think.

You can pump it out but it is not likely you will get all of it.

ONce you have the diff out you can install a drain plug in the driveres side beam, just like a diff cover.

7. Byrd91

Byrd91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Penobscot, Maine
      '92 XLT
      I want to thank everyone. I changed the right side wheel bearing today. It was my first time and was surprisingly easy. All the noise was related to the spindle nuts being TOTALLY loose when I took off the wheel. I did a full repack job and cleaned and lubed my hubs with ATF since my mechanic felt the need to grease the hell out of them. The left side was fine today, no noise, smooth rolling, and very little play, but I'm going to change it tomorrow anyway, just because it was underwater and I think my mechanic used the 18 inlbs method rather tham about 10ftlbs method that I heard works quite well. Also, we pumped the diff fluid and refilled because removing the 3rd member looked like more of a job than we could handle in a dorm parking lot. I plan on doing another pump and fill if the gasket doesn't leak, but I'm skeptical that it might, in which case I'll have to do a complete job. Could someone explain the thirdmember removal procedure to me, I didn't see it in the haynes. Seems like you'd have to undo all 3 U-joints in the front, is this correct?? Thanks again guys, I feel very confident about being able to do my own bearings and brakes now, and that just makes me feel good.

8. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      1991 XLT
      Callsign:
      KG5BAQ
      Okay I will explain how I did it to make things easier.
      Have 2 medium boxes handy. Put the parts from each side into a specific box for each side. Undo the front swaybar and tie to frame. . Remove both wheels and place on jackstands just behind radius arm bracket. Undo the front driveshaft at the diff side w/ t30 torx bit. duct tape the caps of the ujoint together to prevent them from seperating and loosing needle bearings. Take off brake calipers and zip tie to frame. Remove hubs and hub nuts. Remove rotors. Remove spindles with 15mm socket. Pull driver side axle out through knuckle. On pass. side cut the outer metal band on the half shaft boot. Now pull the pass. side axle out carefully. Remove shock on drivers side only from the radius arm mount w/ 18mm socket. With the axle beams hanging down remove the driver side coil only. Use a 1 1/8" wrench to remove nut. Twist coil out of bracket. Remove bottom hardware. Now undo the 2 radius arm bolts on top and bottom of axle w/ 1 1/8" socket or wrench. I had to heat them with a torch to get them to come loose. Once those are out move the radius arm to the outside to acess the bolt that holds the diff on. Remove that bolt with 2 18mm wrenches. Remove the diff housing bolts from the front. Carefully pull the diff out. Installation is opposite of removal. Scrape old gasket off and then use some type of form a gasket to seal the diff when you re install. Autozone sells cv boot clamps that you will need to replace the one you cut on the half shaft boot. Other things to do while diff is out is to install poly bushings in the axle pivots, replace shocks if needed, pack bearings, replace u joints in axle shafts, install a locker, install new oil seals.

But if it were up to me I would just pump it out from the front and refill it. Park at a downward slope to do that. Hope this helps.

Last edited: September 22, 2002
    9. Byrd91

Byrd91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Penobscot, Maine
      '92 XLT
      Thanks a lot, thats very helpful. Hopefully the water didn't mess up the gasket and it doesn't leak anymore. If it does I'm kinda screwed I think. Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

10. Byrd91

Byrd91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Penobscot, Maine
      '92 XLT
      Oh another quick question I just thought of. I made sure to keep track of the inner and outer bearings, when I repacked them, but they look exactly the same to me. Are they the same partnumber and interchangeable??

11. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      1991 XLT
      Callsign:
      KG5BAQ
      I think there the same, not sure though. Mine didnt come out but i did take them out of the rotor to repack them. Just put them back in like they were so they will fit the same wear pattern in their races.