Crosswinds causing a loud howling in the front panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crosswinds causing a loud howling in the front panel

Pearl80

Reaction score
City, State
Smalltown, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Merc Mountaineer
We own a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. We just bought it, pre-owned, no warranty. Any time there is a crosswind, there is a loud howling noise that seems to be coming from the front passenger panel. My husband has tore the entire dash apart, checked the windshield seals, replaced the blend door, and cannot figure out where this howling is coming from (the noise is similar to someone blowing on the mouth of a bottle, although much louder). He has figured out that opening a window will reduce the noise.

Anyone have any ideas? I've searched this site, and many others, for suggestions.

We own a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer. We just bought it, pre-owned, no warranty. Any time there is a crosswind, there is a loud howling noise that seems to be coming from the front passenger panel. My husband has tore the entire dash apart, checked the windshield seals, replaced the blend door, and cannot figure out where this howling is coming from (the noise is similar to someone blowing on the mouth of a bottle, although much louder). He has figured out that opening a window will reduce the noise.

Anyone have any ideas? I've searched this site, and many others, for suggestions.

You can check this, it could be the problem.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84220&highlight=clean+iac

mall, Thanks for your response.

We are confident the noise is not coming from the engine as it is solely dependent on wind direction. There must be a crosswind blowing from the drivers side. The noise seems to be coming from behind the stereo and/or glove box.

Although I have heard of others that have this issue, no one seems able to tell us how to fix it or even where it originates.

mall, Thanks for your response.

We are confident the noise is not coming from the engine as it is solely dependent on wind direction. There must be a crosswind blowing from the drivers side. The noise seems to be coming from behind the stereo and/or glove box.

Although I have heard of others that have this issue, no one seems able to tell us how to fix it or even where it originates.

I wish I had another solution for you. Your description of the noise sounds exactly like the noise my truck was making accept it wasn't dependent on wind direction. As much work as he has put into it so far there is nothing to loose by cleaning the IAC.

Back