1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cruise button cover disintegrated

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Vokkentonic, September 30, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Vokkentonic

Vokkentonic New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '96 XLT
      My '96 XLT's cruise control button cover has disintegrated. The high temperatures in South Florida contributed to it, I think. It started with the black rubbery "paint." On more than one hot day, I pressed the button, and the black stuff stuck to my thumb. Ouch. It was like dipping my thumb in hot wax. Anyway, as the black stuff wore off, the underlying rubber began cracking and breaking apart. I now have big holes over the little cruise control buttons.

Questions:
      Has this happened to anyone else?
      Where can I find a replacement cover?
      If it is available, can I replace the cover myself?

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Vokkentonic

Vokkentonic New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      '96 XLT
      I don't know where to begin looking for a replacement cover. I don't know what to call it, either. Can anyone help me out?

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human-Animal Hybrid

City, State:
      Carmichael, CA
      '97 Sport 4x4
    5. Stephen S

Stephen S Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      '07 XLT Ironman
      I've never heard of the cover disintegrating, but I imagine it's possible. So long as it's only the cover that is damaged, you shouldn't be too bad off. I would suggest you call the nearest Ford dealer and ask if you can even get the covers separate from the switches, and get a price and a part number. You may also want to send an email to www.fordpartsnetwork.com, as they will likely be cheaper than the dealer. If you have to buy the whole switch (~$150 per side) just to get the covers, then I would suggest a junkyard. There have to be some good ones out there. The buttons in my 95 still look fine and are very much intact. And you should not need to remove the airbag just to change the covers. It might be easier to work on with it gone, but it isn't necessary. I have commented on my experience with these switches (the lights inside burning out specifically). If you did a search for "cruise control" and my name, then you should find a few informative threads.

Edit: Just checked my Ford service CD...they don't list a part number for the cover and they mention that the switch is not serviceable. I doubt you'll be able to just get the covers.

6. SWLathrop

SWLathrop Active Member

City, State:
      Yorkshire,NY
      01 & 02 Stang, 94 Sable
      Vokkentonic:

I keep everything possible in my garage, it really bugs the snot out of the "Social Director". Anyways, I have a set of bad cruise switches with outstanding covers in my "Parts Bin". You can have them. Send me an E-Mail.