• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Buttons Melted

johnsolana

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
I just purchased a 2002 Sport Trac over the weekend. I got it cheap, and the truck was a mess! I stripped the interior and cleaned the everloving heck out of it. There was a layer of funk on everything, so when I noticed the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel were sticky, I just thought it was some more funk I had to clean off. The more I scrubbed, though, the stickier the buttons seemed, and then the black peeled right off of it to show a sticky, waxy underneath. Then I tried to see if the buttons could easily be removed, but it started to crumble in my hands as I tried to remove it. I stuck it back on there the best I could, but it looks horrible. Anyone else have this problem? Is there anywhere you can get just the button covers? I've tried shopping for them, but all I find is the whole cruise control assembly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My cruise on/off switch cover also broke through, I know what you mean. I believe you can switch just the covers, but no one seems to sell them, I have also looked. I found a video on youtube that shows how to remove the cover, to install leds, but finding the covers is the problem.

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. I went to set the cruise control and just pressed right through the thing. Now I just press around a whole bunch and sometimes it turns on. Barely use it though

You can buy the cruise control switch on Amazon for around $70.00. If yours is working just replace the two switches/if not working replace the wires also.

Thats actually not abnormal. The rubber (or plastic) on the buttons deteriorates fairly quickly, especially if the driver is munching on french fries a lot. Solar exposure will do it too.

Its a fairly easy fix.

2 bolts hold the airbag in. After removing those you have easy access to remove/replace the CC buttons.

Very old topic, but came up as the first forum search result when I went looking for info.

My '98 uses same buttons and about a year ago they started decaying rapidly. It wasn't gradual, looking perfect for 22+ years then in one year, black started peeling off and in 80+ degree weather, they look like there is bacon grease smeared on them, though this goes away when it gets cold again. Odd.

Anyway you can now get these buttons on Amazon or ebay for about $18 delivered for the entire L & R assembly and I mean from a US seller so not a month wait coming from China. Search for part # F87Z9C888BB.

I just purchased a 2002 Sport Trac over the weekend. I got it cheap, and the truck was a mess! I stripped the interior and cleaned the everloving heck out of it. There was a layer of funk on everything, so when I noticed the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel were sticky, I just thought it was some more funk I had to clean off. The more I scrubbed, though, the stickier the buttons seemed, and then the black peeled right off of it to show a sticky, waxy underneath. Then I tried to see if the buttons could easily be removed, but it started to crumble in my hands as I tried to remove it. I stuck it back on there the best I could, but it looks horrible. Anyone else have this problem? Is there anywhere you can get just the button covers? I've tried shopping for them, but all I find is the whole cruise control assembly.
I just replaced mine. Very easy to order and replace. Carparts.com, 24.00, and well worth it.

You can get them on Amazon and through other online retailers. You'll have to remove the airbag to install them. At this point, those buttons might not even have been original to the truck. I had to replace my '04 was a few years ago.

Back