Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cruise Control Lights?

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by topo4u2, September 29, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1995 XLT
      Hello, does anyone know if there are lights for the cruise control switches on the steering wheel pad on a 95 XLT? I have never seen them "on" in my unit but I just bougtht it. The power windows and power locks all have nice little lights but it is bummer at night to find the correct cruise buttons. I have seen lights on these buttons on some other manufacturers.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Yep, they are supposed to light up, but very often go bad. There are some threads about you may want to look at b/c I can't remember if you can just change out a bulb, or if the switches have to be replaced. I think the switches have to be replaced.

Robb

4. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      1995 XLT
      Thanks Robb.
      yes I did a search on those cruise lights and found some real good info. I should have done that first! The only thing is I found a couple of different procedures on changing those bulbs. Some say to take horn pad and air bag off and others say it is just a 30 second job.
      I would really appreciate it if someone can give me a correct procedure. I have the correct bulb #'s anyway.

Thanks again.

5. BradE.

BradE. Active Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      1997 XLT 4x4
      I would not mess around with air bags, they can be tricky to work with and if they deploy they are mega $$$$ to replace.

6. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
      Annapolis, MD
      '97 Limited
      Mike, Glad you found the info you needed. Words to the wise, always run a search first to see if the info you need is here somewhere already. Odds are it will be ;)

Robb, Actually unscrewing and removing the airbag module is very simple and safe. The plastic hornpad and the airbag are all one peice and they just slide out with the two screws and a wire. No chance it would go off.

7. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Stephen, I agree. I never said it was.:D

I personally am still a little if'y when working with airbags tho. I just don't like being right in front of them while working with them. When I swapped out my steering wheel on my 95, I dismantled the underdash, and found another plug for the airbag (I think it was the big yellow one, most airbag stuff is yellow). I unplugged that one before dealing with the steering wheel at all. Maybe a bit ****, but I could disconnect that one while not being anywhere in the area of the bag if it went off. A little extra time spent for a lot of extra safety.

Robb

8. addkev

addkev Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Eastern NC
      '11 Explorer
      You can disconnect the neg. batt. cable for a few minutes and everything to the airbag is dead also, or so says the Haynes manual. I pulled the buttons off the first time w/o removing the airbag and the switch never went back together properly so the 2nd time I removed the airbag it was very simple.

9. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      1995 XLT
      Well, went outside tonight and took a look at these lights. If I tap the back of the switches the right side will come on but no way for the left. I started to pull the rubber back but I figured that I would wait untill I had more light.
      Does anyone know how many of these so-called bulbs are in there? 2 on left and 3 right? Or just one on each side?
      Thanks. Mike

10. Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp Elite Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Greenville, MI
      98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
      There is one bulb each side. I replaced mine a year or so ago and they worked part time if I gave them a rap.
      Finally got some new pads, they come w/lights, from sponser Fordparts.
      Nice new pads and less time changing the pads than the bulbs. And they work...

11. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      1995 XLT
      Thanks Bill,
      What kinda of job is it to remove and replace those pads? And bulbs too for that matter?

12. topo4u2

topo4u2 Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario Canada
      1995 XLT
      Wouldn't you know that I would start lightly tapping around the switch and the right side lights come on and stay on....but for how long?....the left never did....guess I better hunt for some bulbs.