Cruise Control Master Cylinder Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Master Cylinder Switch

JHG120

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Hi. I have 2005 Explorer XLT. Cruise control does not work. Light does not come on dash when I hit the button either. I have included a pic of the master cylinder switch, but it looks to be upside down.

So, when I go to change this out, will liquid start pouring out???

I'm also going to replace switch at brake pedal while I'm at it. Thanks for the help.

jrf90z.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. I have 2005 Explorer XLT. Cruise control does not work. Light does not come on dash when I hit the button either. I have included a pic of the master cylinder switch, but it looks to be upside down.

So, when I go to change this out, will liquid start pouring out???

I'm also going to replace switch at brake pedal while I'm at it. Thanks for the help.

I think that's the pressure switch. Should have no relation to the cruise. Most likely your problem is the pedal switch. There is one switch for the brake light and another redundant switch for the cruise. Mine had the wire broken going to it.

Hey Thanks,
I noticed there are two switches at the brake pedal. Is the correct switch to replace??
20140126_153325.jpg

Hey guys, anyone care to chime in? I called the dealer today, in which they advised "extensive" repairs would need to be made, and in fact stated they could not sell me the master cylinder switch as it requires a "professional" to install and test. They wanted to first set me up with a $95 diagnostic fee to get started, then start from there.

I'm confused on what to replace and try. Please guide me with the attached pics up above, as I think I have the correct switches but just need a confirmation.

Thanks all.

Hey guys, anyone care to chime in? I called the dealer today, in which they advised "extensive" repairs would need to be made, and in fact stated they could not sell me the master cylinder switch as it requires a "professional" to install and test. They wanted to first set me up with a $95 diagnostic fee to get started, then start from there.

I'm confused on what to replace and try. Please guide me with the attached pics up above, as I think I have the correct switches but just need a confirmation.

Thanks all.

Yes, that's the switch that controls the cruise. It's a weird thing. It's like a self setting switch. You snap it into place and it sets itself so that if the pedal moves a small amount the switch opens. On my aviator the wire was broken going to it. The cruise is pretty easy to trouble shoot if you have a wiring diagram. You can check that switch with an ohm meter. It should be closed when the pedal is up, and open when you depress it. There are a couple of contacts on the cruise module that need to have power for it to work. I don't have time to go through the schematic now though, sorry. Probably you already checked, but check all the fuses, and make sure your brake light is working.

Back