Custom 96 Ford Explorer Sub Box Design | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom 96 Ford Explorer Sub Box Design

123456n

Reaction score
City, State
Altus Ok.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer Eddie
This Is My Design For My Custom Ford Explorer Sub Box. I Have looked around but can't find one so i decided to make one so here it is. The first like is a .rar the second is .zip. They are both the same thing. I have three different programs in use MS Paint, Google SketchUp, And Microsoft Excel. Thank You and Post Replies if u have any questions.

First Link--.rar
File name: Sub Box Design.rar

Second Link--.zip
File name: sub.zip

subpic.png

parts.png

3ddesign.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it is. ive never built one but hopefully i can do it.

Thats pretty cool, I just bought a 96' ford explorer , and am going to be adding a better sound system eventually.

Im interested to see how it comes along, maybe you can make a short video and upload it to let us be able hear it.

Have you started building it yet ?

Good Luck and keep us posted.

i have not started yet plann on starting sometimesthis summer. hopefully:/

Got any box plans for a 91?
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Seems like A good idea. Good plan to go on for any year X, actually, just to go by...

Got any box plans for a 91?
Posted via Mobile Device

i can if u can get pic of back for me im not sure if its the same as a 96

Let me see if I have this correct: The box is going to be 14" @ the bottom, and you're going to have it slanting up to 7" @ the top? Also, their tool list was wrong... Can you use a jigsaw for circular cuts? Absolutely. But I'll tell you right now, a router with a circular cutter attachment is going to be your best friend on something like this. Especially if you're going to be cutting curves where it looks like it goes around the rear wheelwell area.

Let me see if I have this correct: The box is going to be 14" @ the bottom, and you're going to have it slanting up to 7" @ the top? Also, their tool list was wrong... Can you use a jigsaw for circular cuts? Absolutely. But I'll tell you right now, a router with a circular cutter attachment is going to be your best friend on something like this. Especially if you're going to be cutting curves where it looks like it goes around the rear wheelwell area.

You are correct and thank you for the advice on the tools

Okay, I foresee intricate and careful cutting required if you look to make you box as is... I suggest not making your back plate slanted. Otherwise you're just making this a nightmare for yourself, especially on your first box build. I would really suggest making your back plate flat, otherwise you're going to have to do a lot of planning, measuring, and careful cutting to get everything to go together. Also, I can't shake the the idea that your cu. ft. measurement is off... Are you making the box out of 3/4"?

Based on my calculations with 3/4" wood (which takes away from interior volume, because you subtract it from your exterior measurements) this will leave you with a box approximately 2.882 cu. ft, before the woofers are installed, which take space as well (I'd estimate maybe a 1/2 cu. ft. or so). This should be a fairly accurate space estimation.

Okay, I foresee intricate and careful cutting required if you look to make you box as is... I suggest not making your back plate slanted. Otherwise you're just making this a nightmare for yourself, especially on your first box build. I would really suggest making your back plate flat, otherwise you're going to have to do a lot of planning, measuring, and careful cutting to get everything to go together. Also, I can't shake the the idea that your cu. ft. measurement is off... Are you making the box out of 3/4"?

i do plan on making the back flat and yes but my math sucks

As far as the back plate being flat, I meant making it straight up and down, instead of angling it to go 7" top to 14" bottom. With the notch section that you're going to do where it goes around the wheelwells, you're going to have a helluva time cutting everything precisely and getting it to fit together perfectly. Especially on your first box. You're going to have (from my count) 8 pieces of wood to correctly angle and accurately cut. You can go that path, but I'd HIGHLY recommend a table saw for precision cutting. Also, you should brush up on your math to calculate the angle you're going to have to cut at. You're going to have to bevel 6 pieces, and angle cut 4 pieces. Just saying, but cutting 2 - 52 1/2 + 2 - 41 1/2" bevels are going to be a lot easier and more accurate on a table saw.

As far as the back plate being flat, I meant making it straight up and down, instead of angling it to go 7" top to 14" bottom. With the notch section that you're going to do where it goes around the wheelwells, you're going to have a helluva time cutting everything precisely and getting it to fit together perfectly. Especially on your first box. You're going to have (from my count) 8 pieces of wood to correctly angle and accurately cut. You can go that path, but I'd HIGHLY recommend a table saw for precision cutting. Also, you should brush up on your math to calculate the angle you're going to have to cut at. You're going to have to bevel 6 pieces, and angle cut 4 pieces. Just saying, but cutting 2 - 52 1/2 + 2 - 41 1/2" bevels are going to be a lot easier and more accurate on a table saw.

I got a neighbor who is a carpenter and im gonna see if he can help me out

I would definitely use him. His woodworking experience will definitely be a plus helping you along. Along with tools ;)

I would definitely use him. His woodworking experience will definitely be a plus helping you along. Along with tools ;)

Yes it will he does good work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah i hope so

Back